Culture Shock

"And I have to wear this all the time?" Danny groaned, staring at himself in the reflection of the lab mirror. 

"Oh don't complain," his mother chided, pressing a monitor strip across his chest. "It'll be covered by your Casper uniform when you're at school. No one will even notice."

"As long as it actually works and keeps me from burning my clothes off," he mumbled. 

"Speaking of school..." his mother started slowly.

"No way," Danny cut her off.

"But aren't you worried about what might happen now? What if someone finds out you're not... human?"

"I've worked way too hard to get into Casper to back out after one bad day!" Danny exclaimed. "It's not like I ever have been human. I know how to make this work. This is just one new thing to deal with."

"I know, but now it's more obvious! If you get too emotional, your disguise won't be good for much. That hair change makes things much harder."

Danny smiled wryly. 

"Well I guess I'll just have to control my irrational teenage emotions then."

Maddie looked at him anxiously, eyes lined from worry and lack of sleep. They had been working for days to contain and mask his new abilities. Sam and Tucker had been bringing him his missed homework and covering for the teachers. Even when Danny left to eat or sleep, he knew that his mom stayed in the lab.

He sighed and took her hand as she reached for the computer controls.

"Mom... it's going to be okay."

Maddie's violet eyes grew damp and she gripped his hand tightly. 

Danny smiled reassuringly. "What's the worst that could happen? People find out I'm an alien. It's not like Casper isn't full of aliens. I don't know why I wouldn't let you tell anyone about me. But that was in the past.They might think it's weird, but I won't be attacked. I won't die. I won't get taken."

"I just don't want to lose you," Maddie said softly. 

"You won't. I promise."

......................................................................................................

Danny and Tucker hurried into their first class of the day just before the final bell. Unfortunately the only empty seats remaining were in the front row. As Lancer prepared to start his lecture, they slid into their seats. 

"Ah, Mr. Fenton. Finally decided to show up did you?" Lancer drawled, raising an eyebrow at him. 

"Sorry professor. I haven't been feeling good lately."

"Well I certainly hope this doesn't become regular. Your academics may compare with your sister, but your respect for the rules remains to be seen."

Danny felt his face burn with embarrassment. 

"It won't happen again," he mumbled, pulling out his tablet. Tucker gave him a sympathetic shrug as the lecture began. 

Danny began taking notes as Lancer launched into his presentation of alien culture classifications. From the notes Sam and Tucker had brought, he knew they had already covered the wolf-like race of the Poani and the primitive natives of Rigel. 

Lancer dimmed the lights and an large holographic alien appeared in the center of the room. Danny gave a small start of recognition. The figure was clearly a Grangen, one that bore a strong resemblance to the video game version of Pariah Dark. It had a large and muscular build with huge clawed hands. Glowing green eyes shone from its dark skinned face.

"This species in known as a Grangen," Lancer announced. "Unlike many aliens we learn about, this hologram has not been enlarged. This is the true average height and build of this species. "

Collective murmurs of appreciation ran through the class as they examined the hulking figure. 

"They have a strong military culture. Leaders are appointed through a complex system of duels and battle merits. Space corps is fortunate enough to have formed an early alliance with the Grangens. They often serve as security or bodyguards with us. Just make sure you don't get on their bad side. An angry Grangen can track its target without stopping for days once it has the scent."

Danny gave an involuntary shiver as he looked at the huge hologram. That was one alien he didn't think he'd like to meet.