Leverage

The lab was darkened, a few blinking lights and routine beeps the only things disturbing the dim silence. The Halpha had settled into a fitful sleep, twitching occasionally in the plasma tank. 

A lone man stood in front of the tank, hands clasped behind his back. He breathed slowly and evenly. Everything about him spoke of refinement and wealth. Everything except his eyes. They bore into the sleeping alien with an unnerving intensity. He stared hungrily at the tubes carrying the boy's glowing blood. Behind his back, his hands twitched involuntarily. 

The lab door hissed open, breaking the quiet hum of the room. Two people entered the room, arguing hotly.

"Sir, sir you have to listen-" Spectra entreated the hulking white suited general. 

"No Spectra, I don't," he snapped back. "You seem to be forgetting who is in charge here lately. We don't stop until we get it out of him how he survived for this long."

"That's what I've been trying to tell you!" Spectra said, exasperated. "This probing is crude and blunt. It's giving us information, but not what we need. We could ruin his memories before we find what we need."

They walked up to the tank. The lab was empty around the two. The silent observer had vanished as quietly as he had appeared. The Halpha floated in his tank, eyes twitching fitfully beneat his lids. 

"What do you suggest?" the general sneered.

"Let him out of there. Lessen the drug dosage. Get him to tell us voluntarily."

The general snorted.

"What makes you think that will work? He's been keeping himself secret for this long. Force is the only way to get people to do what you want."

"Always so trigger happy," Spectra sighed, shaking her head. "Do you know how we captured him in the first place?"

"We dispatched an entire squadron to that Institute," Walker replied.

"No. The weapons and security were useless against that phasing. We captured him because we used leverage. When his two closest friends were in danger, he willingly gave himself up."

This caused the General to pause.

"We already have his friends in custody?"

"And his family," Spectra confirmed. "They've been pretty tight lipped thus far, but I think the situation calls for more... drastic action."

"Hmmm."

The general tilted his head, examining the sleeping alien. 

"What did you sense about him in your interview earlier?"

"He's very devoted to his loved ones. There were undertones of deepset loyalty behind his fears. He's a fairly able liar after all these years. But he has enough giveaways that I can still tell when he's not being honest." Spectra replied, her large liquid eyes resting on the Halpha. 

The general looked at his deputy. 

"And you have confidence in this method? It will give us the answers we're after?"

"Yes sir."

"Do it Spectra. I'm handing over supervision of this investigation to you. But remember something. If I feel like you're not making progress after a week, he goes under the probes again."

The general turned from the tank and went to the exit. He halted in front of the open door. 

"And this time I won't stop until I've gotten every scrap of memory out of his head."

He exited the lab, leaving Spectra alone.

"Yes General Walker," she said quietly, turning to smile her sharp toothed smile at the sleeping Halpha.