Sick Day

"But what did it feel like? Did your hand tingle? Was there any nausea? Oh! Did your hand feel hot or cold?"

Maddie hovered around Danny with various instruments and questions. Sam and Tucker lingered awkwardly next to him.

"It was just for a second. But I guess it felt kind of hot and tingly."

"On your hand?" Maddie clarified, shoving a thermometer into his mouth.

"More like my whole body," Danny mouthed around it.

"Jack!" Maddie called. "Can your bring me my tablet dear?"

He entered a few moments later, crunching a piece of toast and looking excited.

"So Danny! I hear something exciting happened today!" he announced.

"I always thought it was strange how none of his Halpha abilities seemed to work," Maddie said, flicking through files on her tablet. "I mean, the information is shaky at best, but it seems like... yes. There are early reports of Halphas being able to move through walls and objects."

"Than why hasn't it worked until now?" Danny asked, tugging irritably at the electrodes taped to his body.

"Well it could have to do with stress. You said you were being threatened. Maybe this is like a Halpha version of adrenaline."

"I've been freaked out and angry before though," Danny replied.

"Maybe... wait." Maddie pulled up a quick scan of Danny's vitals. "Yup. I thought this might be... uh-huh. Hormonal imbalance."

Danny stared at her.

"Puberty," she laughed. "The mix of hormones and stress must have triggered the change! Oh wow. That's a new one."

Danny didn't look at Sam and Tucker, but heard them trying to stifle snickers beside him.

"Well what are we supposed to do about that?" he asked, more angrily than the situation called for. He could feel an irritation, a building rage that wouldn't stop. He felt a strong heat wash over his body.

"I've spent my entire life hiding, and now I might just melt through stuff any time I get annoyed?! Tell me what we're supposed to do! You're supposed to be the smart ones!"

Maddie stared at him as he ranted on, eyes widening.

"Danny..." Sam whispered.

He stopped, the anger mixing with shame.

"I... I'm sor-"he began.

"No. Danny!" Maddie gasped, grabbing a mirror and shoving it at him.

He looked into it and felt the air leave his lungs. His dark hair had changed to a eerie glowing white, and his skin was shining green. As he watched, and the anger calmed, his hair faded back to normal, and the green skin vanished once more behind the fake tan.

"It's a chemical reaction to anger," Maddie exclaimed, scribbling furiously on her notepad. "Trauma induced bioluminescence! Hair, eyes, skin, it all starts glowing! This is incredible. It backs up the reports of Halphas glowing at times."

Danny sat down, running a hand wearily through his hair. It felt warm to the touch. Everything still felt hot. He lowered his hand and heard a strange cracking sound. His shirt sleeve had crumbled off at the movement.

He groaned.

"Great. And my clothes get burned off too. Whoop-de-doo."

"I think you'd better take a couple sick days," Maddie suggested, looking meaningfully at her husband. "And we'd better take a few lab days."