CHAPTER FOUR: THE PERFECT PLAN

On the verge of entering the kitchen for a glass of water, Ashton almost did a double take at the sight of the forlorn figure at the dining table. Selena Rose McKenzie was crying?! Not crying but pouring? He would be damned! All thoughts of thirst disappearing at the opportunity in front of him. For all the fourteen years he had known her, he had never seen her have a moment of weakness. Her job must mean a lot to her for her to break down like that.

He couldn’t help himself. He grinned. Wickedly. Who was he to contest fate anyway? He would take pleasure in torturing her and knew he would win this battle since she was not in her tigress mood. Then suddenly, he remembered what Jake had asked of him and faltered for several minutes before starting in her direction.

As soon as she saw him, she turned her head in the opposite direction to hide her tears most probably. He grinned again. Someone was going to have a hell of a good time here.

“Are you pouring? Can you believe I’ve seen you crying during our last two meetings? Are you getting mushy?”

Selena faced him all trace of tears gone and averted her eyes. “I think it’s time to call the new parents back. Adam will wake up anytime now,” she prevaricated trying to change the subject.

Ashton was having none of it. “So how much were you prepared to offer your boss?” he queried and thoroughly enjoyed the amalgam of emotions flashing in her almost sky blue eyes.

“What?!!” she exclaimed as shock finally won over and became predominant.

Ash grinned popping a grape in his mouth and sneered at her lecherously. “I mean what was he offering you in return of your .. favors?”

Selena sighed heavily in an attempt to move away but Ashton blocked her exit. He watched as she tried to decide whether to ditch his question or relent. She finally slouched her shoulders and looked at him with a defeated expression.

“He had promised me the job of a project leader in his company.”

Ashton cocked his eyebrows in disbelief. Project leader? From what he had gathered, Selena was damned good at her job and five years was enough for her to be in a high-level management position. Especially in the Information Technology industry.

“Which was quite plausible in case you’re wondering anything at all,” she added in a warning undertone upon seeing his expression and completely misinterpreting his silence.

Shrugging casually in an attempt to show her that he couldn’t care less about what deal she had with her ancient boss, he leaned against the kitchen table wearing a frown on his face. His mind was working at the same time trying to assess Jake’s initial proposal before the dinner.

Just before leaving his office, Jake had told him if he wanted to outrun Devin’s matchmaking tactics, he had to marry Selena McKenzie. It would of course be a marriage of convenience; of a duration not exceeding approximately one year. Since Uncle Devin was so hell-bent on pairing him up with that Kyra Hart, he had to think of another alternative to deter his plan and who better than the feisty Miss McKenzie?

Since they hated each other passionately, there was never going to be a probability that she might fall in love with him. Not that he was pompous but he had the problem of women falling willingly at his feet. That was why nobody else would be appropriate for the task apart from the woman facing him with open disgust.

A contract marriage with his best enemy which would last one year would definitely mean no fallouts from the whole event. And it was the optimal time to strike this deal. Since Selena had lost her job, she would need money and he was ready to propose some to many to make sure she was as willing and committed as she should be; he needed complete cooperation. It had been the perfect suggestion from his best buddy Jake.