CHAPTER FIFTEEN: KISSING AND MAKING UP

“Where do you think you’re going?” a voice sounded just as Selena was trying to disentangle her legs from the bed. And she winced. She had wanted to get away furtively without any dramatic scenes. Not that she had regretted last night; she had no words to describe the awesome moments she had spent in his arms.

But she feared that it was only a momentary elapse on his part and that he would regret it on waking up. Even if she had been a virgin, she knew how it worked. Men treated sex like a trivial activity; she had her father as a good example to confirm her theory. It didn’t mean anything to them.

And Ashton was no different. Who better than her to know that? And besides when she had decided to sleep with him, she had also made up her mind not to cling to him. She wanted him to fall in love with her without any help from her and if she failed to do that, she would distance herself. It was futile fighting for something that was never destined to be hers.

“I’m going back home,” she said averting her eyes fearing he might see the moisture already starting to pool in them.

“Stay,” he said quietly and her poor heart so wanted to.

She looked at him over the sheets and watched as he sat up and propelled his hand under his head as he watched her closely. She swallowed terrified that he had found out her truth about her feelings. He was so astute that he could probably guess the reason why she had so willingly offered herself to him without any thought.

And then her pride took over. So what if he knew she loved him so much? If he did not love her back it was going to be his loss. As far as she was concerned, she was doing no sin at all. Sitting up to tell him just that, she was surprised to see him get down from the bed and knelt in front of her still on the bed.

“Ash!! What are you doing?”

Without replying, he opened the drawer near her and showed her his mother’s engagement ring; the one he had offered to her at the famous dinner party. Astounded, her hand covered her mouth as she stared at him with her eyes wide open. Was he going to do what she had just thought? Was he going to propose?

“Selena Rose McKenzie, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?”

She opened her mouth but no words came out and she promptly closed it again. Then tried again but still no words came out and she chided herself mentally for behaving like a bloody fish. He was just doing the honorable thing. And besides he had asked her to marry him before they had slept together just for the sake of Uncle Devin.

It probably meant nothing but try tell that to her racing heart! That foolish organ was ready to jump out of her chest at the mere prospect of getting married to its master. Be still my heart, she pleaded silently.

“Ashton, this is so chivalrous of you but I’m sorry I cannot marry you.”

How could she explain that a loveless marriage would be a living hell? Especially when he did not love her back. Each second would be a torture as she would always hope that he would love her back. And she would never know whether he was sincere with his vows or not. She felt a prick in her heart as his expression fell and he frowned at her uncertainly. “Why not?” he asked her in a small voice. She sighed; it was going to be harder than expected.

“Ash, look, you can’t just marry me because it was what Uncle Devin wanted. I know you feel guilty about his death and wished you could have made him happy but this is not going to work out. Marriages cannot be based on such situations.”

“It has worked out well for Jake and Rach,” he persisted still on his knees and waiting to make her wear the ring.

“But they are different. They have loved each other for a long time. We can’t even stand the sight of each other. How do you think we are going to be able to manage a relationship let alone a household?”