CHAPTER SIX: HOW IT WAS MEANT TO BE

The first week at work was hectic for Ashton; he had to meet his client to explain why his company could not deliver the website as planned. On a short notice, he had to fly to New Jersey to meet up with the quite angry customer who had been expecting to launch the website by the end of the week.

Unsuccessful to convince him to reconsider the deadline, the client had backed out and he had lost one of his major clients. He had to admit that his software company was on the verge of turning into a fiasco and if not properly managed, he would have to close it down. It didn’t matter much to him as he was already a major shareholder in GEMS enterprise and had ample money.

He was worried about his employees. How the hell would he break the news that he was deciding to mitigate his losses and was therefore considering going for a turnover? It was going to be hell. And to top it all, he had just appointed an executive assistant who would be as lost as he was in managing the operations since she had no experience whatsoever.

Tired when he got back on the following Tuesday morning, he felt almost reluctant to get back to office. He was going to go have a rough time explaining things to his staff about the loss of such a prestigious client.

As soon as he got into the open space, he sensed something different. Everyone was at their work place and the atmosphere seemed relaxed more than the usual tense production environment. Greeting his administrative secretary Emma, he signaled her to enter his office to inquire about the current situation during his absence.

“So what happened to the meeting we had with Mr. Anderson from the Carlyle company?”

“Well, Ashton sir. Mr. Anderson was very against the cancellation as he was supposed to go out of country for the next two months. I had informed him that your trip was a last minute event and was unplanned but he insisted. So, Miss McKenzie attended the meeting and…”

“She did what?!!” Ashton exclaimed incredibly. What the hell did she know about conducting such meetings? He was sure that he had also lost the most important part of the deal with that client as well. The situation was going to be so much worse; he had been counting in that particular deal to recover from his current loss.

Emma winced at his tone and looked at him nervously almost ready to burst into tears any minute. He guessed it served no purpose being angry at her. The real culprit was that miss “high and mighty” always on her high horse trying to set the world right. He would give her a good lecture as soon as he convoked for her.

“Okay. I’ll deal with her later. So has Damien been able to manage things around while I was absent? I had specifically told him to make sure he conducted the interviews I had scheduled for last week. How has that been going on?”

“Oh, very well, sir. Miss McKenzie had decided to appoint two of the interviewers which she had personally questioned.”

Ashton sighed. He could feel an impending headache. “That will be all.  Can you please send for Damien and Miss McKenzie, please?”

By the time the two arrived, he had kept his anger in check and wanted the facts about what was already too late to save. As soon as Selena entered his office, he noticed her stylish and professional attire which made her look hot and sultry. The livid blue colour was a perfect match for her sky blue eyes and she was wearing a simple matching earring in the shape of a tear drop. While it gave her the professional look, the skirt she was wearing was showing off her long endless legs to perfection and he imagined them untangled around his naked body after a session of hardcore sex. Hell, he wanted to take her on his office desk right in front of Damien.

It made his mood fouler. He addressed Damien completely ignoring the neutral polite smile she was sending his way in guise of a greeting.

“Damien, what happened to the interviews?”