CHAPTER TWELVE: THE PERFECT BAIT

As Ashton sat rigid in the church for the funeral procession, he was still reeling from shock. Uncle Devin was truly gone. Forever. And he regretted suspecting him for nothing. He regretted having reacted so angrily as he had at the hospital. As it is he had ben distressed by the emotional dependence he was having with Selena and on top of that he had thought that Uncle Devin was meddling again.

To him, Uncle Devin had been a friend and mentor ever since he was a kid. He had spoilt him so much and had been proud of him whatever. He knew that kind of unconditional love was rare to have and all he had done was defy him and tried to outrun him without really understanding why he had wanted to control their lives. It hadn’t been a whim; on the contrary it had been a way to express his love for his children. How they had misjudged him and Ashton wished that he could repay him in some way.

And he felt bad for having made up the charade now. If only he had known that Uncle Devin was that sick, he would have married anyone under false pretense just to see him happy in his last moments. But it was too late now. Nothing could be done to save him. Nothing apart from ending that sham of engagement he had concocted with his enemy. He was glad in some way, now everything would be back to its original state.

He would not pay her the money they had agreed upon since the deal was off anyway but he would probably let her keep the job until she wanted it. Because she was helping him in some way and he had his own selfish reasons for wanting Selena to keep the job in his company. He no longer hated her so she will easier to bear now.

Sighing as he realized that he would have to deal with his parents about the broken engagement but eventually they would understand that he and Selena was not meant for each other. Even as his mind was coming up with all those rational thoughts, his heart was not ready to listen. He did not want to let her go now not after everything has changed between them.

They had not spoken since they had returned from California and he did not want to look her way. He was already weak and overwhelmed with grief that he knew one look at her would weaken his resolve and change his decision about breaking off the engagement.

Glancing in the direction of his family, he made up his mind to wait for some time before announcing to them that the engagement was off. It was not his priority for now and he wanted to give them some time to get over the initial shock before giving them another shocker.

Turning round, he felt a hand on his shoulder and was surprised to find Selena behind him looking as depressed as he was feeling. “Are you alright?” she mouthed and he nodded feeling like a heel to think the worst about her. She was a wonderful human being and he was lucky to have her in his life and he wished things were different between them.

He took her hand in his and squeezed her hand gently silently vowing that he would make everything work. For his sake. For her sake. For late Uncle Devin’s sake.

                                                ********************************

Two months went by and Ashton sill could not find the courage to break off the engagement. Even Selena had not come to confront him about the pretense and he was glad. They had an unspoken mutual understanding not to speak about the deal and was still acting like a couple. Not an intimate one as in California but still a loving couple. Maybe she had felt that it was important to wait for some time before announcing to the family that the engagement was off.

 There was only one month left for December; for their original deal would end then. Then suddenly something struck him. Maybe Selena was waiting for December to end the deal and get her money after all. What a cunning woman she was. It was after all about money for her.