CHAPTER FOURTEEN: MISS ME?

Ashton Jacob Cooper was not in a very good mood. In fact, he was in a horrible mood. And damned if he knew why. Nobody was approaching him in the office since he was acting as ferocious as a wounded bear. For the past week. Ever since that damned stupid woman had left his office and his life.

It was pure hell working without her. Not because of the workload; he was managing that all right thanks to the processes she had put in place. It was hell because every time someone was passing by his office door, his foolish heart missed a beat thinking it was her. And it was irritating him so much that he had to find some other things to keep his mind busy.

And as if it was not enough, yesterday he had caught her moving out. On top of that to California! To Somerville. He had not slept a wink last night; had been tormented with thought of Selena with that damned Somerville. How was she so readily willing to hook up with that man anyway? Ashton believed he could offer him more than that damned man.

He missed her. Not a single minute of the past week had gone by without him thinking of her. Thinking of the time they had spent together in California. The way she had kissed him back; the memory was playing over and over in his mind driving him crazy. It had been like hell and he had been trying to tell her that he needed her. Wasn’t that enough for her? Why the hell was she being so difficult?

Well, he was not prepared to let her go and would blackmail her about it being Uncle Devin’s last wish if need be. He would do anything to bring her back to him. But he could not understand the reason why it was so important to him. When he had heard about her going to Somerville, his blood had boiled and he had wanted to strike something.

He was sure she was moving in with that damned man. Could be dating him already. That damned businessman had to be the reason why she was refusing him. He must have offered her a better deal and being the business woman that she was, she was keeping her head like she always had. While he had lost his heart on the way.

It was something he had seen coming but still the revelation hit him with a force that pierced right through his heart. Reeling from shock, he clenched his jaw as he realized he could no longer deny that he had fallen head over heels in love with his enemy. While his heart wanted to jump with joy, his mind was warning him that Selena might not feel the same way for him.

With a new resolution, he took out his mobile and sent her a message. Can we talk?

Sighing again, he tried to concentrate on his work but all his attention was on his mobile phone which was not responding. He could hardly blame her if she did not love him back. Nothing had changed for her; but the fact that she had not kept the money might be a positive thing.

What did it mean? Did it mean she loved him too? Was that the reason she had returned him everything? Did his heart dare hope? Or did it simply mean she did not want anything to do with him in the future. For the hundredth time since the past two minutes, he checked his mobile again but still nothing.

On remembering the way he had acted with her, he was not feeling too proud about it. He had not only ill-treated her but had royally ignored how difficult it had been for her to achieve that position. Selena did not hail from a rich background as he had but she deserved a better future than him. She was such a hard worker; the one who had subconsciously taught him how to be a better man.

Selena had taught him to a better man in every way if he looked at his situation more closely. She had taught him to respect his team, to earn his money by working hard and to love without any ulterior motive.

Now he could say he was a better man. But he wished Selena could see him in that new light; he wished he could convince her that he was now a changed man. Love had taught him both humility and piety. Even if it was hard to admit, he knew he had an ego the size of a mountain but for the love of his life, he had to swallow it even if it meant leaving him nowhere.