CHAPTER ELEVEN: A PIECE OF HEAVEN

Where is he?” asked Ashton as soon as they reached the hospital and found a staff at the reception counter.

Selena had followed him without any questions when Jake had phoned to tell them that Uncle Devin was hospitalized. Devastated by the news, she had been worried sick because they had no more information than that and she knew Ashton was equally worried since he was very fond of Uncle Devin too.

But there was something terribly wrong. Ashton was not only worried; he was angry too. Very very angry and Selena had no idea why. She wanted to comfort him but felt awkward now that they were back to reality and suddenly she resented the fact of having to return back so soon. How could she be so selfish?

It was then that Selena knew it was too late to protect her heart; she had already fallen head over heels in love with Ashton. As her heart absorbed the full impact of the shock, she had to maintain a semblance of normality as they rushed to the room where Uncle Devin was admitted.

There was no time to analyze her feelings as they reached the corridor, everyone was waiting looking worried. Uncle Nash rushed to their side as soon as they reached and Ashton stopped him abruptly and everyone looked up in shock.

“I know what you are up to!” growled Ashton angrily at his father oblivious to everyone looking upon him with chastised looks.

Uncle Nash seemed shocked at the tone of his son but put up a hand to stop him. “Ash, whatever it is, I’m sure you can wait. This is not the place. Dev’s in serious condition right now and…”

“Oh really? I’m sure it’s one of his stunts again. Next you know he’ll ask me to get married before he breathes his last,” he interrupted rudely.

So that was why he was so damned angry. At the thought of having to marry her. And her stupid heart had thought that everything had changed between them now. What a foolish lovesick idiot she was! To believe that Ashton was changing and starting to like her. She hadn’t known what to make of him by the way he had been behaving those past two days.

Blowing hot one second, blowing cold the next. She could hardly read him last night but she knew there was no way her feelings would be returned. Whatever was between them was purely sexual for him and even then he had not been ready to sleep with her even if she had offered herself to him.

As she watched him pacing down the corridor angrily, her heart sank as she got the confirmation that he was never ever going to love her back. Not when she was only the fake fiancée. Even if Uncle Devin was faking it, she was grateful to him else she would never have found out the truth.

She had to do something about it. She was one to sit back and watch the love of her life get away. Especially her enemy.

Her beloved enemy. As she mentally looked back in the events of her life, she remembered of always having been aware of Ashton whenever he had been around. Whether it had been out of anger or revulsion then it had not mattered, but he had always been an integral part of her life. And always would be.

Was she prepared to let him go out of fear that he would never be hers? Was that love? Love she knew came with no conditions. If she loved him, she was not supposed to have any no guarantee that he should love her back, right?

However, her thoughts evaporated as some doctors came out of the hospital room and called Jake aside to talk to him privately.

She went to Rachel’s side and hugged her in comfort and seeing her sister in tears made her want to cry too. Uncle Devin must be in serious condition for everyone to act in such a way. And to hell with Ashton, she vowed. She swore if they forced her to marry him, she would run away from there since he was so reluctant for the act.