Chapter 6

© Sweetslover8 2013. It is illegal to copy and/or steal.

~Uploaded December 7th, 2013

A knocking sound reached into my brain through my peaceful sleep. I grumbled; the dream had been about that totally hot stranger that had been haunting my mind for the past while. Funny thing is that I could never remember what he looked like, and this coming from a girl who had an eidetic memory, meaning I remembered everything I had ever done, seen, heard, etc. It irked me.

Another knock. It truly clicked this time and I sat up abruptly, immediately going for my gun. A tall, dark figure stood outside by the window, waiting. Ready to pounce if anything happened, I rolled the window down a crack.

"Excuse me, miss", the man said. From underneath the large umbrella he carried, the rain drops rolling off of it, he appeared to be in his late thirties, with blond hair and hazel eyes, and tall and sturdy frame. He was probably such a heartbreaker in high school. "Do you need any help?"

"Oh, yes. My truck broke down a while ago and I'm stuck here. I would've called for help but my cell phone battery died and it started raining and-" I stopped myself. Why was I divulging all of my problems to a complete stranger? I faked an embarrassed blush. "I'm sorry. I'm ranting, aren't I?"

The man let out a chuckle, its warmth spreading across me. Strange. "Don't worry about it. I can help you get to Silver Creek if you want. It's a small town about three kilometers up the road." Kilometers? Oh, right. They didn't count it as miles here. I had to get used to that. "I'll call a tow truck for your truck and it'll be in the garage in town."

"Are you sure it isn't any trouble? You don't have to-"

"Nonsense! I can't just leave a young lady stranded on the side of the road. It goes against everything I was raised with. I can drop you off at the inn and you can stay there until further notice." He didn't look lik he was going to take no for an answer. Silver Creek. Hmmm... That sounded small and secluded, a change from what I usually went with.

I looked at him. "Alright then, if you insist. But may I ask your name first?"

He looked like he wanted to slap himself. "How rude of me. I apologize. My name is Gabriel Cunningham, and I am the sheriff of Silver Creek." He took out an ID card from his wallet. It seemed legit. "And you are...?"

Deciding that this man seemed safe enough, and knowing I could probably kick his ass if it came to that, I rolled down the window a bit more and held out my hand to shake. "Dani Wilde. Nice to meet you, Sheriff Cunningham."

"Pleasure's all mine. May I help you with any bags?" Okay, I've known this man for less than five minutes, and he was already the most polite man I had ever met. Like, ever. I vaguely wondered if all of the people of Silver Creek were this polite.

I smiled politely. "I'm fine, thank you. Could you make sure that my truck is well taken care of? It's like my baby."

"Don't worry. I understand. I'm the same way with my car." Sheriff Cunningham gestured behind my truck to what looked like-

"Is that a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro?", I asked. I got out of the car, not caring that it was lightly drizzling, and walked closer to the car. "It looks brand new!"

"I've actually had it for a while. Are you into cars?", the sheriff asked.

"Does James Bond drive a 1964 Aston Martin DB5?"

He chuckled, and that strange warmth emanated from him again. "I'm beginning to like you, Dani. Now come on. I'll call for the mechanic to pick up your truck and drive you into town."