Chapter 7

Chapter 7

All that remains of her

Now is pure womanly. 

The tired pair, Ainsley and Bennett, sat silently as the carriage conveyed them back to town. Ainsley shifted nervously in his seat, unable to reconcile the scene he had just witnessed and the basic facts he knew about the family. Never before had he seen such a public display from the higher classes. Even his own ill-functioning family knew to keep their squabbles behind closed doors and beyond prying eyes. There had to be more to this family and their relationship to Miss Dawson, something that made emotions run high and vanquish all sense of propriety.

Ainsley looked across the carriage. Bennett was staring at him inquisitively. Ainsley wondered if the old man could read his thoughts.

"I am trying to figure you out Dr. Ainsley," Bennett confessed. "You are unlike many doctors in some respects."

"How so?"

"Your manner... it's quite refined."

"Shall I be disrespectful and ill bred?" Ainsley answered with a laugh.

"You jest Dr. Ainsley but one would mistake you for a... well to be blunt, a higher ranking citizen than a doctor."

Ainsley forced a laugh but it came out fake. He could scarcely hide his identity forever. He knew he would one day be called to task for his deceitfulness but for the time being he needed to hide his real name and position as long as he could.

"I would never presume to speak to Mrs. Lloyd in such a manner," Bennett confessed.

"Something had to be said. I could not let that poor women be abused so abrasively."

Ainsley saw Dr. Bennett smile and betook it for doubt. Ainsley decided to shift the conversation to another subject.

"When did you first suspect Josephine was poisoned?" Ainsley let the words drop from his lips and watched closely for any reaction from Bennett. "What markings did you see?"

"I've been scarcely permitted to view the body."

"So why do you believe it is a case of poisoning?"

"From Lillian, herself." Dr. Bennett let out a deep breath. "I was given a letter written in her own hand. I never would have believed it myself had I not been..." his voice broke off. "Mr. Lloyd's death was very odd as well."

Ainsley leaned in closer, "You believe Mr. Lloyd was the first victim?"

"No, I believe he died of pneumonia. It was the reaction to his death that I thought suspicious. It was... as if there was a knowing between all the females in the house. No one was tearful as you would expect." His face betrayed his disease, his mind drifting to a place he'd rather forget.

Ainsley shifted his gaze, peeking outside the carriage window to the blackness beyond. "Did you perform a post mortem on Mr. Lloyd?"

"No. Mrs. Lloyd would not allow me near the body. I had to resign myself that the true cause may never be found. Without access to the body how could I be sure?"

"Mrs. Lloyd denied you access? Just as she is doing so now. She may very well be behind all this." Ainsley pointed out.

"She was adamant that I should not touch his body lest his spirit be doomed to roam the earth for eternity."

"She said as much?" Ainsley asked with a laugh.

"Word for word," Bennett replied.

"A religious woman is she? Attends church?"

"Not in the twenty odd years I have lived here. I had thought her melodramatic though."

"Many women are," Ainsley added. The young doctor sat silently for a moment, with his hand to his chin and his mind twisting and turning over the facts in his head. He could scarcely help if he was not allowed to examine the body. "Tell me, Dr. Bennett, what would you like me to do? Mrs. Lloyd has refused to let us touch her dead child and there is hardly enough evidence for you to contact a magistrate who would force her. My expertise is in dissecting dead bodies but you have me in a situation where I cannot even touch the girl. "

Bennett shrugged and gave a look of nonchalance as he leaned back into his carriage seat. "You are a young lad with experience. Are there no other ways?" he suggested.

None that Ainsley was aware. He had specific training. He could not diagnose a cause of death without at least a proper dissection.

"I am not a detective, Dr. Bennett. I am not trained in deciphering clues."

"Are you not?" Bennett asked. "I had thought all doctors were entrusted with as much? We examine physical evidence and determine appropriate causes. Whether it be a cause of illness or death. Your expertise is in determining a cause of death."

Ainsley did not try to hide his laugh. "I can only determine death when I can properly examine a body."

"Give me time," Bennett implored. "I just need a bit more time to convince Mrs. Lloyd."

Ainsley would have to agree to it, it was hardly the time of day to be heading back to London, and he was bone weary from travelling such a distance to get there.

"In the meantime," Bennett continued. "I have volunteered you to sit with the body in the morning prior to the funeral and internment."

Ainsley could not hide his shock. He was not of close enough connection to the family to be volunteered for such a service.

"You are startled? Are you not comfortable around dead bodies?"

Even in the dim light Ainsley could see the old man raise an eyebrow. "I can manage well enough. Though I am not sure I should be so entrusted, since I just met the Lloyds this evening."

"Everyone will be preparing for the funeral," Bennett offered. "Besides, could there be a better time to examine the body without anyone of the household around?"

Ainsley returned Bennett's knowing smile. The old man had some character in him yet, Ainsley decided. Devious fellow.

As the carriage rolled on toward the dimly lit town it was agreed, Ainsley would stay in Bennett's guest room until his job was concluded. No longer than a week, Ainsley repeated in his head. Crawford was expecting his return in six days time. Easily accomplished, he told himself. The body would reveal all he needed to know. They always did.