Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Swift to be hurl'd-

Anywhere, anywhere

Out of the world!

They slept like the dead, Ainsley in the chair, Jonas on the sofa. Neither one stirred when the sunlight began to stream boldly into the windows. Even the smell of Mrs. Crane's baking did not disturb them. Her scream however, would have woken everyone in a ten mile radius. Jarred from deep sleep, Ainsley fell from the chair while trying to untangle himself from the quilt. He was still clothed from the night before.

Jonas, still hazy from much needed sleep, tried to pry the sealed organ jar from Mrs. Crane's trembling hands. "I will take care of it," Jonas said, sleepily.

"What is it?" she asked in a near shriek.

"Does it matter?" Jonas asked.

In their sleepy haste to get some sleep, they must have left the jar in plain view.

"Mrs. Crane," Ainsley said, approaching the pair slowly, "It is a vital part of my research."

He saw the housekeeper's grip loosen and Jonas slipped it away and hid it in a box near his microscope and other assorted devices.

"Who is it from?" she asked.

"That does not matter," Ainsley explained, hoping she would not press for further information.

Mrs. Crane hesitated, hands on hips and lips pressed together. "My last days in this house and I find that on my table." She clicked her tongue. "What are the both of you wearing?" She looked over their dusty clothing. "You look like the church grave digger--" she cut her words short as she realized what it all meant.

"I beg you not to tell a single soul," Ainsley implored. "A young woman's life depends on it."

She eyed the pair of them suspiciously. "Is this about Lillian Lloyd?" she asked.

"Yes," Ainsley confirmed.

"And we'd appreciate your discretion on this rather delicate matter," Jonas added, with a smile.

Mrs. Crane shook her head in disbelief. "Fifteen years working for a doctor and I never saw the like. I will keep your secret but next time do better so I never have to know." She turned from them and walked towards the kitchen. Ainsley secretly wished he could take her back to London, perhaps employ her in his own home once he was able to acquire one. She was a hoot if not a damn fine cook. Her discretion was necessary especially for his line of work.

Ainsley looked to Jonas, who was running his hands over his face in an apparent effort to wake completely. "I suppose we should get started," he said rolling up his shirt sleeves.

Jonas nodded slowly.

Ainsley pulled out the jar from the box and prepared the surface of the table while Jonas retrieved the appropriate tools. Both doctors leaned over the stomach and reached for the scalpel at the same time.

"Oh," Ainsley said, "why don't you do the honours."

Jonas nodded.

Ainsley reasoned his friend was far more experienced in toxicology than he was. Besides, Ainsley was so anxious for the results that he could hardly keep himself from subtly shaking. He retreated to a chair a few paces away and sat to watch as Jonas sliced open the stomach cavity.

"There it is," Jonas said.

Ainsley jerked awake. He must have fallen asleep while waiting because when Ainsley opened his eyes he saw Jonas bent over his microscope, the dissection finished.