Chapter 24

Chapter 24

With many a light

From window and casement,

From garret to basement,

She stood, with amazement,

Houseless by night.

The mill yard was an enclosed structure, with only a pair of wooden doors allowing access to the courtyard. Ainsley slipped through the one door that was propped open and was surprised to find a high amount of activity for a relatively small space. Men and women alike went about their duties with little regard to the stranger who had entered their midst. Ainsley dodged a moving cart, presumably loaded with bundles of cotton, as it drove past him toward a large platform where men waited to unload the newly arrived cargo. It was on this platform that he saw Walter, perhaps his only ally, his arms folded over his chest as he spoke with a bulky man, whom Ainsley assumed was the foreman in charge. When the man nodded and walked away, Walter's attention turned to scan the yard.

"Dr. Ainsley?"

Ainsley proceeded up the stairs at the side of the platform.

"Never thought I'd see you here, not in a dog's age." The men clasped hands in greeting. Walter looked genuinely happy to see Ainsley, who thought perhaps Mr. Lloyd felt more at his ease at the mill and less encumbered than when at the Manor. "Nothing has happened with my sister, has it?"

For the briefest of moments Ainsley thought he saw a smile pushing at the sides of Walter's mouth as he spoke. Perhaps his initial gut feeling, that Walter would help him, was very wrong. "No, nothing like that. I was wondering if I may speak to you," Ainsley glanced around the courtyard at the myriad of people, some whom he recognized from Josephine's funeral, "Alone, if possible."

"Yes, yes of course."

Walter ushered Ainsley into the mill where the droning noise of the mechanics deafened every other sound. The large room in front of them was alive with machines and people alike. There was no telling what duties each of the contraptions performed but Ainsley was impressed by the immensity of the operation. Children were stationed next to each machine; half-starved little bodies, dutifully waiting for their next instruction. There was so much to see yet Ainsley was not given a moment to take it all in.

Walter gestured to a flight of metal stairs that scaled the wall of the large room, at the top of which Ainsley could see a heavy wooden door with a window. Ainsley followed Walter into the office, indicated by a large desk and grouping of chairs on the opposite side. When Walter closed the door the sound of the mill was muted and Ainsley was glad he would not have to speak above such clatter.

Ainsley waited while Walter slid behind his desk, gesturing for Ainsley to take a seat opposite him. Once seated, Ainsley noticed a sizable painted portrait of Walter Sr. prominently displayed above the room's fireplace and mantel. He looked like such a distinguished man, proud to have risen to such heights. In the picture his hand clutched his jacket with a white knuckle grasp, as if he was clinging to his power and wealth defying anyone to challenge him for it. Even in a picture, the man commanded attention and established a presence that even Ainsley could not explain.

Seeing the direction of Ainsley's gaze, Walter chuckled and reached for his crystal brandy decanter. Setting two glasses between them, Walter poured enough to fill them half way. "My father," Walter said with an air of disdain, "his eyes follow me everywhere." Walter placed one of the glasses in front of Ainsley and took the other for himself. "I have plans to take it down, move it into the mill to remind everyone how much worse it could be." Walter laughed gregariously at his own spiteful joke and tipped his glass into his mouth with vigour.