Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Under the sun!

O, it was pitiful!

Margaret had never dreaded the morning so much. She lay in bed for quite a while watching the sun's light become brighter and brighter until she was unable to deny the arrival of the day. She dressed soberly, all the while dreading the next meeting she would have with her mother. The topic could not be avoided. Margaret would have to confront her, demand an explanation, if one were to be had. If anything, Margaret hoped getting caught would halt her mother's illicit affair and perhaps it could go a long way to repairing the family's reputation.

The main floor of the house was quiet and for a moment Margaret thought she had been left alone in it until she heard her mother's unmistakably sweet laugh. Margaret found Lady Charlotte Marshall sitting opposite Jonas at the family's large dining room table. A modest spread of breakfast was on the table between them but Margaret could tell they had already eaten and their dishes had been cleared.

"Margaret dear!"

Margaret cringed at her mother's attempt to appear docile.

"We were just about to come find you. I was worried when you had not come down. Are you feeling well my dear?" Lady Marshall smiled as she lifted her tea cup daintily to her lips.

Margaret looked to Jonas with wide eyes. How could she pretend nothing had happened? Jonas forced a slight smile but shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"She looks well enough, doesn't she Jonas?" Lady Marshall asked.

"She looks splendidly well," he replied.

"Come Margaret, sit with me, my dear." Lady Marshall patted the padded seat next to her. "Jamieson, fetch a plate for Margaret." One of the few remaining servants at The Briar, Jamieson bowed slightly and left the room.

Margaret slowly walked to her mother's side of the table while exchanging glances with Jonas. She slipped into the seat that her mother had indicated. Lady Marshall handed Margaret a napkin which Margaret unfolded and laid over her lap.

"I am afraid the food is a bit cold. We had not expected you to be such a late riser." Lady Marshall laughed. "But I suppose your journey has been a tiring one." Lady Marshall moved all of the serving trays so they sat in front of Margaret. "Next time, however, I'd like a bit more notice."

Of course, Margaret thought, more notice to hide away your lover.

"So I can properly prepare your room," Lady Marshall continued.

Margaret could hardly believe what she was hearing. Was her mother behaving this way because Jonas was sitting across from them, or did she truly believe Margaret would have forgotten, or worse, forgiven her so quickly.

"Mother!" The room fell into a strained silence and Lady Marshall stopped her fidgeting with the serving utensils and trays of breakfast food. Margaret's voice was louder than she intended but no one could mistake her frustration. "I saw you!"

Lady Marshall stared at Margaret for a long while and Margaret actually thought her mother would drop the charade and confess to being unfaithful. Jamieson returned and quietly placed a plate in front of Margaret.

Lady Marshall finally spoke. "Saw what dear?"

"I saw you and that man in the parlour--" Margaret closed her eyes, willing herself to forget the sordid scene. She could not finish her sentence without recalling everything in vivid detail.

Lady Marshall smiled demurely, giving Jonas an apologetic look. "Margaret dear, you must have been dreaming. I was in my room when you both arrived, sound asleep."

Margaret shook her head. "I know what I saw."

"Have some ham dear, and perhaps we should order you some soothing tea. You must be overtired from your sudden journey."

Margaret's jaw clenched involuntarily and she could feel every muscle in her body tightening. Her mother meant to ignore the entire incident. Perhaps she thought her daughter would never betray her secrets. Margaret knew if she did so no member of their family would be immune to the scandal and fall out.

"Jonas was telling me Peter has been sent to the north," Lady Marshall said with a smile to their guest. "He is a mother's pride and joy. I couldn't be any more proud of him if he was personal surgeon to the queen."

Margaret clenched her fists, and stood suddenly, depositing her napkin in a crumpled heap on her untouched plate. "You should be ashamed of yourself!" Margaret hissed.

Lady Marshall looked as if she could laugh at Margaret's ill-timed outburst. "Really Margaret," she said, glancing to Jonas, obviously concerned about his impression of her, "What can possibly be wrong now?"

"You think I won't tell Father? You think I won't run back to London and let him know what you have been up to here."

Lady Marshall self-assured smirk did not leave her face. "You think your Father does not already know?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Margaret could feel her heart beating rapidly beneath her tightly pulled corset. She struggled to keep her breathing steady but knew she had to leave the room soon or else all the dishes would find themselves broken on the floor beside her.

Lady Marshall turned from Margaret and reclaimed her light hearted, sing song tone. "If you feel you need to return to London so soon after arriving then that is your choice Margaret dear." Lady Marshall looked up to her daughter, the earlier challenge in her eyes gone, replaced by the demure and sweet mother Margaret remembered from her youth. "This is your home and you will always be welcome here."

Margaret left the room feeling her eyes well up with tears as she reached the main hallway. She held to the handrail, took two steps, and felt a hand on hers. She looked over to see Jonas. "She's denying it all," she said, allowing the tears to stream openly down her cheeks.

"I know." he said calmly.

"I don't care if Father knows. It's not right. It's shameful." She raised her hand to wipe a tear from her cheek. "I can't stand to be here a moment longer."

Jonas nodded but did not move his hand from hers. "Tell me what to do, and I will do it," he said quietly, "Tell me where you want to go, and I will take you."

Margaret felt drawn to him. Despite her distress she felt calm with him near and wanted to be nearer still. She searched his face and leaned into the bannister placing her face inches from his. Any closer and her eyelashes would brush his cheek. She thought he would kiss her, and wanted him to desperately.

"Jamieson!" Margaret saw her mother saunter into the hallway. She stopped when she saw Margaret and Jonas huddled close together at the bottom of the stairs. Instantly Margaret stepped back from Jonas and pulled her hand away. "Oh. My apologies dear, did not mean to interrupt." Lady Marshall gave Margaret a self-satisfied smirk as she passed them. "I suppose I should discourage such impropriety." She smiled forcibly and patted Margaret's wet cheek with the palm of her hand before retreating to another room.

Margaret narrowed her gaze as she watched her mother walk away. Her eyes met Jonas's but she dared not move any closer. "I have to go see Peter."