Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Death has left on her

Only the beautiful

Ainsley peered from the hallway as Elizabeth opened the door to Lillian's chamber. He was not sure what to expect on the other side of the door. He imagined the middle daughter would be equally like Elizabeth and Josephine both. Blond curls, pale skin, slight figure. His expectation was not far from reality.

Elizabeth walked into the room allowing the housemaid, Mary, to enter before her. Mary approached the small bedside table and placed the morning's meal next to the patient. She looked to Elizabeth then, pausing a moment in case there were further directions. Elizabeth shook her head and motioned for the door with a slight tilt of her head. Mary slipped out, almost thankfully, and left the two sisters alone with the doctor.

Holding his hands neatly behind his back Ainsley stood near the door. It was a rather large chamber room with one fairly impressive wood poster bed. There was a lone dressing table and wardrobe but that was all. No books, no toys, no adornments of any kind save for a delicate ivy pattern on the wallpaper, and matching green drapes that framed two bright windows. Lillian was lying on her side in the middle of the bed, with her eyes fixated on something outside the window.

"How are you faring today sister?" Elizabeth asked, as she rounded the corner of Lillian's bed.

Lillian did not move from her reclined position. She clearly had no interest in the food that had been brought to her. She gave no indication that she was even aware that the doctor was there.

"You should eat before your food becomes cold," Elizabeth pressed, slipping into a bench placed at the window. "Lillian?"

"I am not eating," Lillian muttered, her voice muffled by the quilt on her bed. Her eyes shifted from the now obstructed view and she changed her focus to the intricate threads on her bed clothes. "I will not give you any more means by which to kill me."

"Lillian!" Elizabeth shot up from her seat and formed fists at her side. "How dare you suggest such a thing? I would never--"

"You wouldn't?"

"Come now Lillian, you are simply overwrought." Elizabeth glanced to Ainsley then, clearly embarrassed by Lillian's behaviour. "This is Dr. Peter Ainsley," she started, gesturing to the door where he stood. "He's come from London to help."

Lillian grew more aware then, lifting her head from her pillow to look at the man in her room.

Ainsley watched the patient turn in her bed, her eyes darting from him to Elizabeth and back again.

Beneath white linens and a matching quilt lay a slight girl, young woman, actually. She looked solemn at first glance. Almost half asleep and yet waiting for him. She was not the child he was expecting when he first arrived on the train. In fact, this girl was just as grown as her sister Elizabeth. She was blonde as well, but lacked the curls of both sisters. There was no mistaking the relation. Their faces gave their blood connection away.

From the bed, Lillian made no motion to invite him in further. Lillian was quite pale and sickly. Her head lay on the pillow which was propped up against her headboard so that she may sit up.

"I wish to speak to the doctor alone," Lillian said at last.

"Mother would never allow it."

"Then it is a good thing that Mother is not here." The young woman spoke the word "mother" with utter contempt. Her mouth spat it out as if it hurt her to even think of it.

Elizabeth let out a breath, glancing to Ainsley and then back to Lillian. Ainsley could tell she was not pleased with the arrangement.

"Leave us," Lillian commanded.