Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Or was there a dearer one

Still, and a nearer one

Yet, than all other?

The news of Dr. Bennett's passing swept through town. From pedestrian to street vendor, everyone was aghast. It was only a matter of time before the disbelief morphed into panic. If the infallible Dr. Bennett could fall prey to this unknown disease, then before long the entire town would be inflicted and they would all be looking to Peter Ainsley for answers.

Ainsley felt it best if he visited the Manor house to tell the Lloyds about the circumstances surrounding Dr. Bennett's death before any of the servants brought the news from the market that day. Recent circumstances being what they were, Ainsley doubted the already frail constitutions in the house would be prepared for the shock.

When he arrived he was shown into the parlour where Mrs. Lloyd and Elizabeth were seated. The room was much changed since the day before. The ornate mirrors had been replaced and freshly cleaned. The family portraits were unmasked, allowing the full splendor of the commissions to show. Ainsley could not help but let his eyes wander to a portrait of Lillian and Josephine which hung above the piano. Josephine was depicted in a long flowing cream dress. She had a thin blue ribbon tied at her waist, with some flowers attached to the ends. Lillian, who was much taller than her younger sister, wore a blue dress, the same shade as Josephine's ribbon. Both girls' hair was pulled back with a few curly tendrils cascading around their bare necks. A slight smile could be seen on Josephine's lips, but Lillian's face remained annoyed and ill-amused.

"Dr. Ainsley, won't you please come sit down?" Mrs. Lloyd, still in her black dress of mourning, gestured to the sofa.

Ainsley nodded and took his place. "Thank you for agreeing to see me Mrs. Lloyd."

"Seems we are never to be rid of you," Elizabeth said under her breath, keeping her eyes to her needlepoint. Ainsley could not decide if she had intentionally said it loud enough for him to hear. He chose to ignore the comment as did Mrs. Lloyd. "You have noticed our change in decor. To be honest, I am glad it is over. I will still wear my mourning clothes but we must continue living."

Ainsley winced at her words. It did not seem right that he should be bringing them such news on the day after Josephine's funeral. For a moment he thought to conceal the true reason for his visit but then he thought better of it. Surely they deserved to know.

"What is the matter, Dr. Ainsley?" Elizabeth asked slyly, "Does the subject of death revolt the necropsy doctor?" She almost laughed then. She was teasing him though her tone denoted a more sinister motive. It occurred to him that what he was about to tell them would certainly give her more ammunition.

"There has been another death, I am afraid," he said at last.

The benevolent smiles quickly faded from the faces of the women. At last, having refused to acknowledge his presence long enough, Elizabeth lowered her handiwork and looked at him. "What do you mean? Who died?" she asked before her mother raised her hand to hush her.

"Elizabeth, please. Allow the man to speak."

Chided, Elizabeth titled her head and pursed her lips. Ainsley tried to ignore her stare but kept finding his gaze drawn back to her.

"I am sorry to tell you... Dr. Bennett died sometime last night."

Gasps filled the room, not only from in front of him but behind him as well. Ainsley turned to find the servant, Mary, who had been returning with a tray of tea. She looked as if the shock would dislodge the burdensome tray from her grasp. Ainsley rushed to her, taking the tray before the contents were scattered everywhere.

"Mary! Contain yourself. Now go ask Cook to give you something to busy you!" Mrs. Lloyd commanded over Ainsley's form as he placed the tray on the table between them. Mrs. Lloyd turned to Elizabeth then, "I certainly do not know why I keep that girl in my employ."

Ainsley took his seat before Mrs. Lloyd addressed him again. "Are you quite sure?" she asked, concern spreading over her face, her annoyance with Mary a distant memory. "Oh, of course you are," she said in answer of her own question, remembering his profession. Her face fell then, the realization hitting her. "I am sorry to hear it," she continued, giving a quick glance to Elizabeth beside her. "He was a good friend to our family."

Elizabeth nodded though Ainsley could not be sure if she performed this gesture out of genuine recollection or out of duty.

"I suspect Dr. Bennett has died from the same affliction as Josephine," Ainsley explained.

"Truly? You have reached this conclusion so soon?" Elizabeth asked suddenly, before being able to stop herself.

Ainsley nodded and was careful to keep his gaze straight and unwavering. Elizabeth's lack of sentiment was concerning. "Yes, I must perform a post mortem exam to be sure-"

Mrs. Lloyd gasped, but Elizabeth only gave a slight glance in her mother's direction. Mrs. Lloyd clutched her stomach then and raising her other hand to her lips, gestured as if she would be sick. Ainsley saw Elizabeth sigh slightly at her mother's dramatics. It was obvious Elizabeth was made of sturdier stock than that of her mother. Perhaps it was her upbringing which made her behave more like the second eldest female of the house. "Do not speak of such things," Mrs. Lloyd warned.

"Mother hasn't the stomach for...well for most things actually," Elizabeth whispered, knowing perfectly well her mother could hear.

"I am afraid I must Mrs. Lloyd," Ainsley pressed, "I must implore you to revisit the matter of an examination of Josephine."

Another audible inhale came from Mrs. Lloyd's direction. She began fanning her face with her needlepoint hoop and slowly taking in concentrated breaths. "I cannot," she spat. "Such a vile act." Mrs. Lloyd sneered and wrinkled up her face at the notion.

"Is it not too late then?" Elizabeth asked, "There is still a means to determine a cause of death?"

"Absolutely," Ainsley replied. "Until there is but hair and bones scientists can gather much information from a corpse."

Mrs. Lloyd was sure to faint then. She flew back into the cushions behind her and abandoned her fanning altogether. Placing a hand to her forehead she massaged her temples and closed her eyes.

Ainsley had forgotten himself, but more importantly, he forgotten his audience, two women who no doubt had never been called upon to hold such a conversation. For a moment he had thought he was talking to his sister Margaret who would neither flinch nor coo at such a phrase. If Ainsley meant to be granted permission he must become better at presenting his case.

"I assure you, Mrs. Lloyd I will proceed with the utmost respect and dignity," he explained. "If you hold any hope of saving your daughter Lillian--"

The young doctor was interrupted when Mary reappeared. "Excuse me, ma'am! It's Lillian, she's taken a turn."

Elizabeth rose instantly but Mrs. Lloyd remained seated, assured that her eldest daughter would see to it. Ainsley stood as well and reached for Elizabeth's arm before she was able to brush by him. "May I be of assistance?" he asked.

Elizabeth hesitated. She did not move or jerk her arm away and she met his gaze squarely, as if searching his face for sincerity before finally relenting. She did it because she must, Ainsley realized. No other accredited doctor was available and it was in that moment she realized it. "Come with me then."