Chapter 4 - Sexist Bigots

    After my shower, I felt more refreshed, so I decide to walk around a bit instead of nap. In spite of it being the middle of summer, the temperature does not feel hot at all. In fact, every once in awhile, a nice breeze pushes against my face.

  While exploring the woods, I find a small river and sit against a nearby tree, listening to the bubbling of the water.

    "Ariadne," someone says, touching my shoulder.

    I jump and hit my head against the tree as my eyes open. Mateus is in front of me, leaning over my sitting figure.

"I must've fallen asleep," I mutter to myself, rubbing my head. "What time is it?"

"1:00. The council is here."

"Great," I announce, "I'm late."

"It's alright. I'm not there yet either," Mateus reaches his hand out to me, and I take it. He pulls me up, sending tingles up my arm, and then there's only a few inches of space between our chests.

When I look up at him, he's staring at my lips, and as much as I don't want to, I step away.

"Come on, let's go then," I tell him as I start walking.

Mateus walks beside me all the way to the meeting room, which is much more crowded today than yesterday. More people are standing instead of sitting, making room for the new faces, the ten council members. Mateus moves to sit in the remaining chair on one of the sides.

The council is a group of previous alphas that have stepped down from their position and retired. If a majority of the existing alphas agree, a retired alpha is elected to the council, which serves to regulate the whole country's packs. The board of alphas that met in this room yesterday only represent the northwest region of the country. They mainly discuss smaller matters and means of protection.

    "Alright," one old man loudly announces from the head of the table. "Let's get the meeting started."

    The room quiets down.

    "Where's the leader of the rogues?" the same man asks.

    "Here," I say, stepping away from the door and closer to the table.

    All of them look at me, sizing me up. I try not to wither under their stares. Confidence, Ari. Show them you can do this. You can lead.

    "State your name, please," he demands.

    "Ariadne."

    "Just Ariadne? No last name?"

    "Yes, sir."

    "And you wish to acquire status as a pack for your group? And a piece of land?"

"Yes, sir."

"And your group has been residing in an area in Washington for how long?"

"Four years."

"And you claim that no one from your group has caused any trouble for any other packs?"

"Not since they were with me, sir."

"How do we know we can trust her?" another old man speaks up from the right side of the table.

"We don't," a rough voice from the left side says.

"Would you be the alpha should your group become a pack?" the old man from the head asks.

"I believe so, sir."

"And your beta?"

"My current second in command, Dylan."