Chapter 55 - Start Your Own Life Apart from Mine

~~~~~ Dylan's P.O.V.

The office phone rings as soon as I walk away from the receiver.

"Shit! Shit! Shit!" I shout in increasing volume as I go closer to the chessboard to see that yes, there really were three envelopes discreetly tucked under it.

"You better fucking not have, Ariadne," I continue talking to myself as I open the top one with my name on it. "You are not that stupid. This is just some stupid early birthday card or something because there's no way in hell you went there without telling me. Except I know you, and that's exactly the kind of shit you'd try to do."

Dylan,

I hope once you find this letter it's already been a few days, or you've felt our connection break. I've gone to make things right. I don't want anymore lives put in danger because of me. Cain needs to die.

I can guess you're angry with me, but please, don't try to come for me. I know you've done it once, but you can't this time. You're safe where and how you are now. I need you to stay there; the pack needs a leader.

You told me you're not prepared to run a pack, but you are. Your father was the beta of the largest pack in North America, and his blood runs in your veins. That kind of power doesn't just disappear. He prepared you for this like mine prepared me. All of his lessons are still with you. (You just need to work on your organizational skills.)

I've left all the relevant files on top of the cabinet. You're going to need to transfer all of the money out of my account and into your name.

You're going to have to announce yourself as alpha. Everyone is going to have questions. The next envelope contains a signed statement that should help with that. Wait to break the seal until you're in front of them.

You need to tell them I've found my mate while in town. He was just passing through but lives by himself amongst family in a small town in Canada. He's not a part of a pack, and I've chosen to leave this one behind for him. Any attempts to find me won't be worth the effort.

After all you have done for me, all the secrets you've helped me keep, I'm begging you to keep one more. You can't ever tell Mateus I'm his mate. I can only hope that, after all I've done to him, he won't look any further into it and will just let sleeping dogs lie. I want him to move on and find happiness. He needs any notion of him and I maybe being mates destroyed. He needs to forget about me, Dylan. If he doesn't appear convinced, you can give him the third letter, one I've written for him. 

I want you to find happiness too, Dylan. Don't let any sadness or guilt eat you up from the inside. Let my secrets die with me. You've had my back, supporting me through thick and thin, ever since I can remember, and I am so thankful for all of it.

We have so many good memories together, yet for the past few years, my life has been your life. I'm sorry for that. It's time for you to start your own life apart from mine. Make it a great one.

Love you always,

Ariadne

I pace the room, losing my sanity as I debate on what I should do. The office phone rings incessantly. 

Do I respect my best friend's literal last wishes? Do I do what I want to do and follow her, or do I put my emotions aside and do what's best for the pack? I don't even know what her plan is. What if I ruin it by going?

I reach for my link with Ariadne. I can still feel her mind there, but when I start to push at it, try to force my way through, she severs it. Immediately, I can feel consciousnesses connect with mine. 

Surprised at the switch, people from the pack try to reach out to me, and I panic and put a wall between them and me. It creates an uncomfortable feeling in the front of my head, and within seconds, it develops into a headache, a radiating pain.

There's a pause in the ringing only for it to start back up again a minute later.

Looks like I'm going to need that third letter. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Question of the week: What do you think Dylan is going to do?

Please vote, follow, and/or comment!