Chapter 46 - The Ritual: Blood is Important

The leader picks up the steel knife. "Every member of the council, please step forward and allow your blood to drop into the chalice."

The leader goes first, using the knife to cut a shallow cut into the palm of his hand. He squeezes, and I watch as his blood drops into the cup. When he pulls his hand back, the cut is already closing.

Blood is important in werewolf rituals of all kinds. It's why the children of alphas are typically the next alphas. Their blood is the most closely related to the alpha. When someone wants to change the line of succession, blood is used in a different ritual. We also use it when creating packs, accepting new members, banning old members, and officializing mates. There's magic in our blood, and different rituals use it in different ways.

All ten of the council members finish, and the leader announces the next step, picking up the second steel knife. "Everyone who wishes to be a part of the new pack must step forward and use this knife to allow their blood to drop into the bowl."

Dylan goes first, following the method of the council members. Carter goes next, then Sam, and I watch as slowly, all 64 members of the pack step up to the table. Donovan and Weston do not. The contents of the bowl get larger and larger, and I nervously wait for the next part.

The leader swirls the chalice around and pours its contents onto the first knife. "Drawing Ariadne's blood with this knife will establish her blood as an alpha's, allowing us to establish a new line of succession for this pack and bypassing the normal requirement to be the age of 20 for succession." He looks at me. "Will you please step forward?"

I swallow my nerves and hold out my right arm out to him. This is it; there's no turning back now.

He grabs my arm in one hand, and presses the blade into my skin using his other.

As soon as the tip of the blade pierces my forearm, drawing its first drop of blood, I feel them. My body starts to hum from the magic of the blood of the council. My own blood begins to warm, and my mind is bombarded with consciousnesses, too many at a time. I gasp as immediately my head starts to pulse with every beat of my heart.

This wasn't supposed to happen yet; this was supposed to happen later.

I try to take Mateus's advice and break down all my mental barriers and allowing their minds to connect with mine, but something is still not right. It makes it hurt more, and the weight of so many people is heavy on my inundated mind. It feels like when Cain tries to communicate with me. It feels... wrong.

I look up, and no one else is affected. If this was my pack, they would feel connected to me as well.

The pieces click, and I quickly, but with a lot of extra effort, school my expression and look at Dylan, allowing him to see the panic in my eyes. The blade slides against my skin, connecting more of my blood with the blood of the council members. I feel more consciousnesses connect to mine.

My entire head feels like it's going to combust by the time the blade, only fractions of a second after it connected, finally disconnects from my skin. I can barely concentrate as the leader announces the next part of the ritual.

His voice is much quieter than the sound of my own blood in my ears as he picks up the bowl and states, "By drinking the blood from this bowl, Ariadne will connect your minds with hers, establishing you all as a pack."

He hands me the bowl, and my hands shake as I take it.

I try to make my voice sound strong for my part. "By drinking the blood from this bowl, I pledge my life to protecting the pack and maintaining the well-being of its members."