Chapter 54 - Where is She Really?

~~~~~ Mateus' P.O.V.

Although the conference call is important, I can't concentrate. I should be paying attention to the updates on what's going on in the South, but my mind is elsewhere.

My gaze goes to my phone again. I called her earlier. She didn't answer, so I left a message asking her to call me back.

I've called an emergency regional alpha assembly here tomorrow to go over measures that everyone needs to take in the wake of the attempted assassinations. I have no doubt she would have come had I just left a voicemail about the meeting, but I wanted to hear her voice.

Joshua gives me a pitying look from the chair in front of my desk when he notices where I'm looking. I've been silent to his and his mate Annette's attempts to get me to talk to them, so they've switched to just looking at me sadly.

"Go," I tell my beta. I allowed him to stay in here because he claimed he wanted to help me with paperwork. I don't need him trying to console me.

Hearing the command in my tone, he leaves, and I relax immediately. I feel the bandaging on my side tighten with the movement. The wound was healing too slow for my liking. It's going to leave a scar like it would to any human, just like that damn scar right in the middle of Ariadne's chest.

I feel my jaw clench involuntarily.

My phone screen lights up, and I check it only to see that it's an email. I don't know why I'm expecting something else. She avoided me for days after she froze that first time and tried to push me out after her nightmare. Whenever she feels vulnerable, she pushes me away and tries to deal with it on her own. I understand why; she's had to take care of herself for a long time. I just thought we were making progress. I thought...

"Stop thinking about it so much," I hear her say. When she would have said it she would have smiled with a teasing little upward turn of her lips.

I know she's not here, but I can practically feel her hand tap my arm lightly to pull me out of my head and get my attention. I don't think she even realizes she does it. She can read right through me and knows when I'm over analyzing, often without even having to look at me.

"Alpha Jackson." This time, someone saying my name over the phone puts a stop to my reverie.

I unmute it. "Yes?"

"Were the men that attacked you questioned? Do they have any kind of connection to the rogue attacks in the south?"

"No, they were killed before anyone thought to question them."

I hear dissatisfied sounds from some people on the other lines.

"Alpha Lucia, no signs of them on your territory still?" another asks the other alpha.

"None," he responds curtly.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive," he replies, sounding irritated.

"Would you mind if we sent a few people to your pack? It's just that your pack was the largest target last time"

"Like I said already, we haven't had any attacks since then. Our security is top-notch. I don't need someone else messing up my patrols. This pack has never had warriors." I can hear the sneer in his voice with the last sentence.

I never really liked Alpha Lucia, and even though my father was good friends with his brother, I don't remember the amicable feelings extending to this particular one of the twins. He seemed too proud to me, and under his leadership, the largest pack in the States had closed itself off to the outside world.