Chapter 10 - Anytime Soon

After eating, I make my way around the pavilion as the sun sets, checking in with everyone in my pack. Throughout this time, I keep a smile on my face, trying to show them I'm in good health, but eventually, the pain in my stomach grows, and faking it becomes harder and harder.

"Sterling, Nathan," I approach the table of warriors. "Sorry to ruin the fun, but I have to go back to the medical cabin."

They begin to get up when, from behind me, I hear Mateus say, "It's ok. You two can stay here. I'll go with her."

Without speaking to him, I turn and head to the cabin. Silently, he follows behind me. The tension between us is so thick it's almost suffocating. In order to not think about the awkward situation, I count my steps. However by 200, I have to stop counting and instead focus on my breathing. Every time I inhale and exhale, my abdomen moves a bit, shooting wave after wave of pain outward. I grit my teeth and keep moving.

"I'm sorry," Mateus, the stalker following behind me, begins, "I didn't mean for that to come out as an order earlier."

"It's ok. Thank you for apologizing." I try to sound normal, hiding the pain from my voice, but even to me, my tone sounds off.

Mateus takes a few longer strides, coming next to me. "Are you ok? Does it hurt?"

"I'm fine," I lie, trying to convince myself also, not wanting to admit to myself, or to him, that I shouldn't have left the medical cabin earlier.

"No you're not. I'm sorry, I didn't think to borrow someone's car to drive you back. I'm an idiot. Your stomach..."

I finish his sentence, "Is fine. The numbing medicine just wore off. It's only hurting a little."

"You're not standing like you normally do. You're all hunched over. Come on, let me carry you."

"I'm not standing straight because I'm tired." There is no way in hell I'm letting him carry me to the medical cabin like some kind of damsel in distress. I can take care of myself.

"It's ok to admit that you are in pain, Ariadne. No one is watching. You don't have to be strong all the time."

We go into a bit of a stare off, and the intensity of his blue eyes has me looking away.

"Alright fine," I admit, angrily, "it fucking hurts. You happy?"

Before I even realize what he's doing, Mateus scoops me up bridal style, and my legs are dangling above the dirt road.

"Please, put me down," I quietly beg, too tired and too in pain to fight my way out out of his arms, his large, warm, muscular, comfortable arms.

"Not happening," he states, and for the first time, I hear some kind of emotion in his tone. Amusement?

I relax into him, resting my head on his shoulder. "I want you to know I'm not going to fight you on this because I'm tired, and I don't want to hurt my side more."

"Duly noted."

Finding it hard to resist myself, I bask in the comfort of his arms while occasionally glancing up at his face, taking in his strong, chiselled jaw line.

The medical cabin, next to our small pack house, comes into view.

"Can you put me down now, please?" I request.

Mateus doesn't answer, and instead somehow manages to free a hand to open the door to the cabin. The pack doctor, Maria, notices our entrance and, with a grin on her face, follow us into the room from earlier where, finally, Mateus gently puts me down on the hospital bed.