Chapter 44 - Missed You

    "I don't remember those two," Mateus comments on Weston and Donovan's appearance, following me into the house.

    I roll my eyes. "I'm sure Nathan has already told you who they are."

    He doesn't respond, but I get my answer from the slight uplift of the corner of his mouth.

    "You're staying in the same room you did last time," I tell him, tossing him a pair of swim trunks. "Go drop your stuff off, and we'll go down to the river."

    He catches them easily. "What for?"

"The pack's having some fun today, call it a pre-ritual celebration... or me trying to get Nora more comfortable with us all before tomorrow. There's nothing like a little adrenaline to bring people closer together"

I grab some towels while I wait on him, and then we head to the river together. I'm happy to find Lily and Sterling talking to Nora on the beach area.

    "Nora, are you afraid of heights?" I ask the girl.

    She shakes her head. "I used to live in the mountains."

    "Perfect. Lily, I promised you a competition last time, didn't I?"

    The bubbly teen perks up immediately.  "Cannonball time?"

    I nod. "Clip, could you be the judge?"

    The old man looks up from his book on the Thirty Years' War. "Affirmative, alpha."

    We get a group together and walk up the small cliff. I watch as, one after another, everyone takes their turn, most whooping all the way down. Lily and Nora go together, and they come up from the jump laughing.

    "You're a good leader," Mateus tells me quietly. "I can tell you care about them."

    "Thanks," I respond.

Then, wanting to lighten the mood between us, I tease him, bringing up our conversation from so long ago, "Now Matty, are you going to prove once and for all that you're not afraid of the man-eating fish? I'd recommend a good running jump"

    He chuckles. I try not to stare too noticeably at his immaculate chest as he lifts his t-shirt over his head and tosses it to the side. I will never get over the sight of him, ever. He winks at me before making a run for it.

I make sure he's out of the way and sprint for the edge soon after. I flip twice in the air, landing in a cannonball in the cold water.

    "Show off," Mateus teases when I surface.

I decide to let myself be more bold than usual because I want to make the most of today. I don't know what he's going to say tomorrow, if he'll be upset or angry, and I want to spend this time with him before his attitude towards me changes.

    "You're just jealous, but... I'll give you a redo if you can catch me," I flirt before taking off up the river. It's pretty calm today, so I easily swim away and dodge him for a few minutes. We spend the rest of the afternoon flirting and playing around with everyone in the water before going to the top of the cliff to dry off.

When it's almost time for dinner, everyone starts to get out of the water below. Seeing an opportunity, I grab his shirt from the ground and dart away from his grasp when he goes to reach for it.

"Hmmm. I think I'll keep this. I much prefer you without it."

His eyes darken. Not missing a beat, he responds, his voice low, "Well, if I let you keep it, what do I get?"