Chapter 10

Dennis made the drive from town to the old Sheffield place in record time. Frank stood on the porch and Zeke was out near the lake, kicking through the knee-high grass as if searching for something.

"Did Randall come by?" Dennis asked when he left his rig and walked up the porch steps. The troubled look on Frank's face gave him his answer.

"Yeah," Frank nodded, his voice tight. "He wasn't happy that his son was over here. Made implications that I don't much care for."

Dennis let out a long breath. "I'm sorry, Frank. I can't honestly tell you what's wrong with that man." His stare shifted to Zeke. "Is he looking for something?"

"Benny brought a toy with him," Frank said. "A model horse. His dad threw it away, called it a sissy toy." He nodded toward the young man. "Zeke's trying to find it."

As they watched, Zeke paused and reached down. When he straightened, he was holding the toy horse.

"I don't know why some fathers are so hard on their sons," Dennis murmured, his eyes on Zeke as the young man began to walk back their way. "They're so afraid if they don't make them tough, they're going to become..." his words trailed away as he glanced at Frank then looked away.

"Gay?" Frank finished for him.

"Yeah," Dennis sighed. "As if that's the worst thing they could be." He shook his head. "The worst thing for Benny...is if he turned out like his father. I hate to say it, but it's the God's honest truth."

Frank nodded. "No argument here."

The troubled look in Frank's eyes remained. Dennis asked quietly, "He didn't get rough with Benny, did he?"

Zeke came up the steps. "He treated him like a piece of shit," he said tonelessly.

"What do you mean?" Dennis asked uneasily.

"The way he spoke to him was atrocious," Frank answered. "I've never heard anyone use such vicious or vile language on a child before. Honestly, I would have preferred to keep the boy here until you arrived, but you said to let him take him home if he came by."

Dennis rubbed his neck. "My mistake," he mumbled.

"Would you mind checking on him?" Frank asked. "Randall was extremely pissed off. I think he'd been fighting with his wife before he came over here. Benny said they were fighting. I'd just like to know the boy is okay."

So would Dennis. He'd never heard Randall use that kind of language on Benny, but he suspected his brother censored himself to some degree in front of Dennis. He didn't doubt Randall was capable of it. "Yeah, I'll take a run over there now and drop back by, let you know how he is."

"I'd really appreciate it," Frank said with a note of relief.

"Marlene and Benny are family," Dennis said. "If I find out Randall is mistreating them; I won't hesitate to deal with him. I don't care if he's my brother, I would never protect a man who abuses his family."

Frank gave him a look that warmed his insides. "I never thought you would."

"Thank you." Dennis retreated down the steps. "I'll be back soon."

When Dennis pulled up to his brother's house ten minutes later and exited the Bronco, he didn't receive his usual greeting from Rosco, who was always glad to see him. He glanced around as he walked toward the house. "Rosco." He whistled low. "Where are you, boy?"

A quiet whimper sifted out from under the porch as he started to climb the steps. He dropped back to the ground and squatted to his heels and whistled softly. The dog crawled out, ears down. When he finally rose up to his feet, he did so stiffly and with pained effort.