Chapter 15

The Dennis Hawkins that Marcy and the whole town of Coldbrook knew so well was nowhere to be found when the Sheriff came into the office—exploded in, was more accurate—his nephew Benny was cradled against his shoulder. The man's naturally soft features were hard as stone, his usually gentle eyes blazing mad.

"Sheriff?" Marcy stepped out of his path. "What's wrong?"

Dennis whirled on her, and she half expected him to explode on her. Instead, he transferred Benny into her arms. "Watch him for me, I have to make a call," he said stiffly, his voice grinding out tight. He disappeared into his private office and slammed the door.

Eyes wide, Marcy stared at his closed door, then looked at Benny. The boy's eyes were slightly reddened as if he'd been crying. "Honey, are you okay?" The boy sniffed and nodded. She set him down. "Do you want something to drink? We have some stuff in the little fridge here in the office."

"Okay," Benny mumbled.

Marcy took him to the mini-fridge and opened the door. "Pick whatever you want, sweetheart." She glanced at the Sheriff's door again, brow pinched with concern. "Is your uncle all right, Benny? I don't think I've ever seen him this upset."

Taking a can of soda, Benny looked up at Marcy. "He's really mad," he said quietly.

Marcy opened the soda for Benny and handed it back to him. "Mad at who?"

The boy sipped from the can. "Daddy."

Marcy had no love for Randall Scott and hoped that whatever he'd done now, the Sheriff had enough on him to put him away for good. Despite his ability to fool some of the folk in Coldbrook—including their own Pastor—Marcy saw him for the ugly, hateful man he was. And she was well aware that Dennis Hawkins wore no blinders where his brother was concerned.

"Hello?" Marlene's voice came over the line and Dennis clutched the phone so hard the receiver began to crack. He forced himself to loosen his grip a fraction and attempted to calm his pounding heart rate.

"Hey, sis," he said as evenly as he could. "It's me. Is Randall there?" he couldn't even say his name without his gut twisting into knots and his temper blazing.

"No," she said. "He left about an hour ago with the guys."

Fuck. Dennis had forgotten about Randall's Fourth of July fishing excursion that lasted from morning until evening, bringing them home about time it began to get dark, and the celebration in town got underway.

"Dennis?" Worry permeated Marlene's voice. "Is something wrong? Is Benny okay?"

Is Benny okay? Dennis' chest heaved, but he held his peace about her husband's vile transgression. Marlene didn't need to hear about this over the phone. "Yeah," he murmured. "Benny's fine." He paused then added, "I need you to do something for me, Marlene. And don't ask me why, I'll explain when I see you."

"Do what?" she asked with uncertainty.

"I need you to pack some clothes for you and Benny, and whatever else you will need, and come stay at my place." He swallowed thickly. "You have to leave Randall. Today. I will not allow Benny back in that home."

Rather than questions, Marlene agreed and said she would be in town within the hour. Her readiness to comply with no questions asked told Dennis that she had been waiting for this day. Why didn't you come to me, sis? Why didn't you tell me he was mistreating you and Benny? But Zeke's words from the first day he'd met the young man, and Frank sifted through Dennis' mind; They're afraid of him.