Chapter 2

Niall ran down the stairs, struggling with his tie as he stumbled across the floor to finally answer the loud banging. It was early in the morning and he knew his parents won't be amused to see him running down the steps like this but whoever was at the door was certainly annoying the fuck out of him. 

He muttered profanities under his breath, finally getting his tie straightened. Niall huffed, smiling to himself as he checked out his new attire in the light reflection the back of the wooden door offered. He had to admit that he did look good. A nice white shirt and a loosely placed tie, hair carefully adjusted to the left hand side just so his parents wouldn't complain and his usual skinny jeans, not the ripped kind though. His attention was quickly snapped away from the reflection when the person behind the door banged once again.

"Fucking asshole." Niall whispered to himself, checking to see if anyone else heard but sighed when noticing the empty corridors.  He was certain his brother and parents were in the dining table, probably munching on their breakfast, having saved some for Niall since the blonde wasn't a big fan of eating in the presence of his parents. He hated being bombarded with questions about his marks and whether he was finally ready to court a girl or not. And in all honesty, Niall wasn't ready. He probably would never be. 

Wrapping his hands around the door handle, the blonde quickly opened the door, eyes widening as they overtook the familiar figure standing outside. Niall was so sure it was their neighbors annoying son, who for some reason always wanted to stay at their place and just make boring conversation with him and Greg. Niall wondered to himself that even Jackson's presence would be a comfort right now, anything, even a damn dragon or a sparkly vampire would be better than Zayn fucking Malik in his entire smirking glory.

"What are you doing here?" Niall hissed at the taller man, watching the way he was adjusting the strap on his bag, his half sleeved white minions t-shirt was displaying his tattoos and for the first time, Niall noticed that Zayn wasn't bulky. He was lean, having all the right kind of muscle mass that he actually wanted on himself. 

"I came to pick up my boyfriend!" The Pakistani roared, grinning widely when he noticed Niall's grimace at the last word. 

"I'm not actually your boyfriend and why did you have to come here?" The blonde turned around, keeping an eye out for any approaching footsteps.  He was certain that even though his parents might not complain (they weren't that strict), they were still going to question him about who Zayn was and that was the one thing Niall can't take happening. Especially if Zayn was still around. He was sure the tanned man would quickly blurt out the boyfriend thing and that was the absolute last thing Niall wanted.

"Aw kitten, you're always so grumpy about everything." Zayn pouted, causing Niall's eyes to momentarily flicker to those red lips before he turned his eyes back to their glaring position, a stance he had fixed separately for Zayn Malik. 

"I'm not grump. You're the one who annoys me so damn much. And can you please get off the mat, or do I have to ring the pest control?" He faked a smile towards the older man, smirking to himself when he saw Zayn shake his head, accepting defeat before taking two steps back. Niall smiled to himself, closing the door and running quickly upstairs to get his bag pack. 

If anybody asked Niall a few months back that would he ever consider dating a guy, Niall was sure he would've said no but here he was, getting into his room in a haste, stuffing all his files inside before running back downstairs and quickly shoving the food down his throat and grabbing the small pack of orange juice that was lying on the counter, before walking outside the door after a quick goodbye to his parents and brother and walking out. 

He grabbed Zayn by the hand upon noticing the older man standing at the exact same spot he had left him at and dragged him away from the door. He was certain that his parents would question his hasty retreat later, his mother had already been glaring at him throughout the time Niall just gave quick nods and hums here and there. He never ate with them, unless it was absolutely necessary which explained why Greg was so surprised to see Niall sitting with them.