Chapter 4: New Years

One month flew by. They had celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas with their friends and it was now December 31.

Piper and Alex were going down to Times Square that night to see the ball drop and to ring in the new year, 2018.

They invited Red and Nicky to join them, but Nicky was running her bar and Red was spending time with her family.

They headed down at about 7 and boy, was there a crowd. They saw artists perform and saw Jenny McCarthy going around like she does every year with the cameras and her husband, Donnie Wahlberg. They could even see Ryan Seacrest from where they were standing.

It was 11:55, 5 minutes to midnight. They were clearly tired from standing but it was only a few minutes til they'd run for it to try to avoid the crowd.

11:59:00, Piper was ready for the countdown. She loved counting down the New Year. It was one of her favorite things as a child.

11:59:30 Alex's heart was racing. She couldn't wait til midnight.

11:59:50 The crowd, including Piper and Alex began, "10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. Happy New Year!"

Piper kissed and hugged Alex. She was so happy to be ringing in a new year with the one she loved.

"This is so perfect", said Piper.

"It really is", said Alex.

Alex waited a few seconds and said, "I love you, Piper."

Piper said "I love you" back and kissed Alex.

Alex said, "No. Like I really love you. You give me a reason not to go back to that old life. I don't know where I'd be without you." She paused a second and said, "I wanted to wait for a perfect moment to do this and I think right now is a good a time as any."

That was when Alex got down on one knee in front of Piper. Piper was really shocked. She never thought she'd see this day with Alex. Alex pulled out a ring and said, "Piper, will you marry me?"

Piper couldn't help but started crying. She had been waiting for this. Alex was crying as well. Piper was surprised that Alex was not only declaring her love for Piper right then, but in front of thousands of people. Piper didn't hesitate at screaming "yes!" a bunch of times in reply to Alex's proposal. Alex placed the ring on Piper's finger and they kissed. People all around were clapping. Piper was so happy. She knew that this was where she truly wanted to be.