Chapter 1: The Encounter

Zayn Malik, a 21 year-old artist, was walking through the streets of London and was minding his own business when he happened to stumble upon an old-fashioned diner. He checked his watch, figuring he'd have some time to kill before he went home to resume working one some of his art pieces he needed to submit for an upcoming exhibit he had at one of the luxurious galleries in the whole of London

He walked in, some employees (who had bags under their eyes from a long and stressful day of work) looking up as the bell chimed, signalling that they had to tend to a new customer. "Good evening, lad. Welcome to Candy's." an old lady greeted, motioning him to take one of the many unoccupied booths in the establishment. "Now, what might I possibly get you?" she asked in that gritty voice of hers, looking bored as hell as she got her notepad out from the front of her pocket and waited for him to speak up. Zayn looked at the menu on the table and scanned it, taking up some two measly minutes before he handed it over to the old lady. "I'll have the burger please. Oh, and add some fries to the side." he said and smiled politely at the lady.

"And what might your refreshment be? Some beer, maybe?" she asked before he shook his head and smiled at her, declining politely. "Some coffee would do, ma'am." he said before the old woman, who he just found out was named Carmel, nodded and proceeded to the kitchen to give the piece of paper with his order to the cook. She walked out again and got a newly washed mug, filling it up with steaming black coffee before she went over to Zayn and set it down in front of him. "Your food should be done in about 10 minutes, lad." she said, walking off before Zayn could even thank her or say anything. He just waited patiently in his booth, glancing around the nearly-empty diner and studied the different types of people who were there at nearly three in the morning. Save from some old men who looked like they honestly couldn't give a fuck about what was going on around them, he found a brunette from across the room who kept peeking at him from over the book she was reading.

He just shrugged it off, concentrating more on Carmel as she laid the platter of burgers & fries and a pitcher of water down in front of him. "Thanks." he muttered and gave her a slight nod, watching as she walked back behind the counter to tend to the old men who were sitting there and asking for another refill of their coffee. He bit into his sandwich and popped a fry in his mouth, this being the first time he's ever eaten a burger and some fries in a place that wasn't McDonald's. He was halfway through eating his burger when the brunette from across the room earlier slid into his booth and plopped down on the seat across from him. He looked at her with his brows knit together, setting the burger down before he cleared his throat. "Erm.. Can I help you, ma'am?" he asked in his polite yet unsure voice. He waited for an answer but got nothing, the brunette just looking him over and squinting her eyes from time to time as if she was thinking about something. He swallowed thickly, running a hand through his jet-black hair before he decided to be the one to speak up. "Look, you must be one of those girls who um.. Who work and use their body for a living.. And I know you approached me since I'm the only young man here who seems handsome and strong and healthy but.. But let me tell you now that I have no interest in taking you to a nearby motel and depleting the small amount of dignity you have left." he said and looked at her seriously.

The brunette just looked at him as if he were crazy before she finally spoke up. "Do I look like a prostitute?" she asked before digging into her pocket and pulling out one of the latest models of the iPhone. "Can prostitutes afford that kind of shit?" she asked again before her eyes widened and she nodded. "Oh! I know what you're thinking! You're thinking I stole that from one of my 'clients', right?" she said before laughing and shaking her head. Zayn, not really having anything to say, felt his whole body relax at the newly-acquired information that this girl wasn't a robber or a prostitute who wanted money. "I.. I'm sorry for having misjudged you, ma'am.." he said quietly and leaned back against the cushioned seat behind him. "Look, I'm bored as fuck, okay. So you might as well just entertain me." she said, adding a shrug of her shoulders before she reached over and popped two fries in her mouth. "Hey! Why don't you go and get some of your own?" he said in a bewildered tone as he snatched the plate out of her reach. "Well, I'm hungry and you have food so I might as well get some from you. And besides, you're fat and I'm not." she said in a calm tone before she grinned at him mischievously. 

"I don't even know you, for fuck's sake!" he whisper-shouted at her before he huffed. "You're gonna need to buy me a new platter of fries, love." he said and smirked at her. "Dude, I'm not going to buy you another plate of fries. Besides, don't you think you need to reduce the food you're ingesting?" she teased before she giggled. "Fat-ass." she said and stuck her tongue out at the dark-skinned lad. "Oh, we'll see about that." he said and grinned deviously at her. "Uh, excuse me! Carmel, yeah. I'll have a basket of onion rings and another order of some fries please." he said before getting an unfamiliar wallet from his pocket. "I'll pay for this order in advance." he said and pulled out some bills from the girl's wallet. "Wait a minute... Haven't I seen that wallet from somewhere before?" she mumbled before her eyes widened. She immediately sprung from her seat and tried to reach over for Carmel and get the money from her. Zayn immediately stopped her and grinned at the old woman. "Keep the change and buy yourself something nice, ma'am." he said before the old lady walked off, a huge smile on her face. He finally let go of the girl and received a slap from her in return.

"You are an ass, you know that?" she huffed and snatched her wallet off of the table. Zayn laughed at her before he ran a hand through his hair and rubbed the cheek where she slapped him up and down to relieve the pain. "Aw, is she going to cry?" he teased and jutted his bottom lip out at her. She just flipped him off and went through her stuff in her wallet, sliding it back in her backpack before she clutched it to her chest protectively. "C'mon, I'm not gonna steal from you." he said and laughed, getting his own wallet from his pocket and paying her back for the money he's taken earlier from her wallet. "I'm sorry. Truce?" he proposed, waiting for her to get the money. She looked at the money before looking into his eyes, quickly getting it from his fingers and putting it neatly inside her pocket. "Fine." she said and shook his rough, calloused hand. "My name's Zayn, by the way. Zayn Malik." he said as they shook hands. "I'm.. Mae. Mae Rutherford." she said and smiled at Zayn. He smiled back, not knowing that his whole life's going to be completely flipped over by this Mae Rutherford character.

---------

A/N: Hi, thanks for reading the first chapter of my story! It's loosely based on the song 'Sex' by The 1975. :) If you haven't listened to it yet, well.. You should!! It's fucking amazinggggg. :D x I hope you enjoyed reading the first part. Tune in for the next update!! Please vote for my story if you did like it and tell your friends on Twitter or anywhere else to give this story a shot! :D x

Twitter: @jackoffzayn

Tumblr: pain-by-zayn.tumblr.com