Chapter 4: Just 'Friends'

Niall brightened at the sight of his long-time best friend and went over to him to give him a warm hug. "Malik! It's been a while! How's the family?" he asked as Zayn awkwardly hugged the Irish boy back, stepping back and clearing his throat. "They're doing good, yeah. What about you? How's the family? Theo?" he asked and forced a smile onto his face, trying to make this conversation light and easy-going. "Theo's good, actually. Little lad learned to crawl just the other day. Proud uncle right here." he boasted and let out a jolly laugh, wrapping his arm around Mae and pulled her in closer. "And I'm about to become the luckiest man alive in a few weeks, right, babe?" he said and gave her a sweet peck on the cheek.

Mae just smiled and nodded her head, trying to be as casual as possible about this whole thing. "A few weeks.. Right." she said and smiled at Niall, kissing his cheek back and looking at Zayn before averting her eyes towards the garden hose that the tanned lad had tripped on a while back. "Anyways, mate.. It's good seeing you again. When's the wedding?" he asked Niall and ran a hand through his hair. "Didn't you get the invitation? I sent it to you by real mail, mate." Niall said and chuckled at Zayn. "Explains why you were the only one who didn't respond to it after a few days. You're the best man, lad!" Niall announced and looked at Mae with a happy look on his face. Zayn's eyes widened at the new and he quickly feigned a happy yet shocked look on his face. "Best man huh? That's fucking wicked, man." he exclaimed and grinned ecstatically at Niall.

Niall nodded his head in agreement with Zayn before glancing at his house. "Anyways, wanna come in for a cup of coffee?" he asked and smiled at Zayn generously, letting Mae lead the way to the house. Zayn was about to say no but decided that he'd make the most out of this thing. "All right, sure." he said and was pleased to see the shocked look Mae had on her face before she quickly went inside the flat. "We apparently need some catching up to do, mate." Niall said and let his friend in first before he locked the door behind him, walking into the kitchen and sitting down on one of the bar stools. "You gonna stay down and have some coffee with us, babe?" the blonde asked as he reached over to turn on the coffee maker. "Um.. I think I'll pass. I'm really tired from today so I'm heading up to bed now." she said and kissed Niall lovingly on the lips. "Goodnight, baby. I love you." she said, smirking at Zayn discreetly before she walked up the stairs into their room.

Zayn squinted his eyes at the gesture Mae did, shaking his head and quietly laughing at what she was trying to do. Niall just sat there in shock, blinking after a while and letting a cheeky grin spread onto his face. "That's a new one from her.." he said and laughed, hopping down from the stool and getting two mugs out from the cupboard and pouring in some coffee. "She's a looker eh, lad?" Zayn commented and thanked Niall as the other lad handed him the cup of coffee. "I really hit the jackpot on this one, Malik. I mean, she's everything you could ever want in a girl!" he exclaimed and sat down next to the fair-skinned lad. "I'm glad you're happy, mate." he said and took a sip of his coffee, shaking his head and smirking behind the cup of coffee as he remembered what had transpired this evening between him and his best friend's fiancee. "She's just so perfect." Niall sighed dreamily and took a sip of his coffee as well. "Best coffee in the whole universe, right?" he said and grinned cheekily at Zayn who only laughed in response.

"Anyways, what were the two of you even doing sneaking in our yard like that? Gave me the impression that someone was going to rob me." Niall said in a joking manner and let out a chuckle. "I was only walking her home. We had a bite together and yeah. I guess we both lost track of time. And we were only sneaking around so as to not wake you up." Zayn told Niall and put on a convincing face. "Oh. Okay." Niall said and shrugged, taking a few more sips of his coffee. "How'd the evening go for the both of you though?" he asked and looked at Zayn curiously. The other lad just shrugged and smiled a bit at Niall. "It was good. Nothing I expected so it was good. She's really nice company." Zayn commented and was pleased to see the reaction on Niall's face. "Of course. Why wouldn't she be good company when she's my girl?" Niall said and discreetly emphasized the 'my' part there. He was undeniably feeling a bit jealous but decided to just brush it off since he knew that Zayn couldn't do that to him, considering he was the Muslim boy's best mate.

Zayn just nodded in agreement with Niall, finishing his cup of coffee and looking around as an awkward silence enveloped the two young lads. "Hey, mate. Mind if I crash here for the night? My place is a bit far from here so.." Zayn said and looked at Niall with his puppy eyes, knowing that the Irish boy can never resist it when he did that. "Oh fuck you, Malik." Niall groaned and just nodded. "Yeah, yeah. You can sleep in the guest bedroom." he said and laughed at Zayn as the lad still kept that look on his face, earning a slap to the back of the head from Niall. "Thanks, mate." Zayn said and grinned like a little boy at his best friend. He hopped off of the chair, put the mug in the sink and thanked Niall before he was making his way to wherever that guest bedroom was. "Hey, Zayn?" Niall called out from the kitchen just as the raven-haired lad was about to ascend the stairs.

"Yeah, lad?" he called back and was wondering if Niall needed any help or something. "Can you reassure me one thing?" Niall said after a while which made Zayn all the more curious as to what it was that he wanted to say. "Yeah, sure. Anything, mate." he called back out and kept his hand on the railing. "Promise me that you and Mae are just friends, okay? You know I tend to get jealous easily." Niall said in a somewhat hushed tone. Zayn sighed quietly and nodded to himself before calling out to Niall.

"We're just friends."

----------------

A/N: Hi, guys!! Hope you liked the fourth chapter. Hahaha. Sorry if the last chapter was a bit short. Xx It was the reveal, guys!! Hahaha. But don't worry, the next chapters are going to be longer so keep on reading, okay? :) Thank you so much for supporting me and this story!! Don't forget to vote, follow and comment!! Love you. xx

F