Chapter One

Bethany's POV

I was a little girl of three years old. My sister, Elizabeth, was four. We were playing in the mansion garden.

"Come on Bethy! There's this place I want to show you!"

"Are you sure, Lizzy? We're headed into the woods. Didn't father tell us—"

"You're no fun! Come on! It's beautiful!"

We ran together, hand in hand, to this clearing with thousands of flowers.

"Wow Lizzy! It is beautiful!"

Elizabeth picks up a flower, careful not to get mud on her little dress.

"Sniff it, Bethy!"

I took the flower and took a sniff.

"How is it Bethy?"

I felt my head getting fuzzy and my throat was closing up. I starting choking.

"Bethy! BETHY!!!"

I passed out. Elizabeth managed to get me back to the mansion, but I was barely breathing. Doctors were sent for.

I had some sort of lung issue. The doctors fixed me then miraculously, but I wouldn't be able to go outside much. I was weak now.

It was determined that I stay in the mansion. I didn't have any chores. I didn't learn how to serve tea, or how to curtsy. I didn't have dance lessons like Elizabeth or even get much of an education.

Elizabeth was the Midford family pride, even more so after the Phantomhive family agreed for her to be the fiancé of their young son, Ciel.

As I grew up, I was bored. My family didn't invest anything in me. I could be a maid to them. Mostly, I read books and asked my teacher about words I didn't understand. I attended meals. I snuck into the sparring room and watched Elizabeth swordfight with our older brother. I was company for Lizzy and I constantly heard stories about Ciel from her.

One day, I was listening to Lizzy when she said, "Oh Bethy! You have to meet him!"

I was taken aback. "Lizzy, you know I can't go outdoors!"

Elizabeth promised me I'd be okay. She picked out a nice dress for me, taught me some basic manners, and we went by carriage to the Phantomhive Mansion.