Chapter Twenty-Three

Mostly Bethany Pov

My room still felt so empty. Though I had my precious painting of my family, it had been many years since we were all happy together. In fact, I rarely remember a moment of my childhood when my smiles were genuine. My father was always someone to be feared, with a hidden agenda. My mother had never protected me from anything, though despite that, I found myself missing her. Isn't that pathetic of me? To miss someone who treated me poorly? As for Lizzy, though I have felt jealous of how she was treated better than me growing up, I admire that she's the most kind to me out of all of our family members. My older brother hardly acknowledges my existence, so much that he refused to take part in the painting at all back then.

Needless to say, I started to plan what I would need in my room to feel at home. A new rug maybe, a desk, a cabinet to hold art supplies, a bookshelf. If I was going to live and fight for my place in this world, I wanted to live right and take advantage of my situation as much as I could.

These thoughts in my mind were truly a distraction from my main problem. I had to talk to Ciel. I had to tell him how I felt about the situation with that Oren guy. Though I couldn't be certain of the outcome of speaking my mind, I had to try. I had to trust Ciel wouldn't be the type of person to shut out my feelings like my parents did. If he does, he would be no better than the life I ran away from.

I quickly dressed in my morning best and headed out to the dining room where Ciel was waiting for me. There were still so many biscuits from before. I don't want to know where he got such a large quantity from, but he seems proud of it, so I should be proud with him.

He took a cautious sip of tea as he looked at me. Sebastian was not far behind his chair, patting the crumbs off of his face as the young lord desired. Mey-rin pulled out my chair and I sat across from Ciel as I always did.

"Isn't it a fine morning for biscuits, Lady Midford?" Ciel looked at me fondly.

"When is it not?" I replied, with a small smile.

"When the rubbish needs disposing of, I would imagine." Ciel shrugged.

"Pardon?" I questioned him, confused ny his response.

"Sebastian told me you didn't sleep well." Ciel replied.

"How does Sebastian know how I slept?" I asked curiously.

"It appears that he heard you cry in your sleep. Would you like to tell me why?" Ciel interrogated.

"I apologize, Lord Phantomhive. I am not so comfortable with that right now."

"Is that so? Pardon me for intruding. I thought you'd like to talk about it."

"I do, but it's too soon. I haven't thought about how I'd like to talk about it yet."

"If that's the case, try to start with a single word. Assuming you find yourself comfortable with that much."

"Is that allowed? Will I be in trouble for speaking my mind in such way?"

"No, I am encouraging you. It would be foolish for me for punish you for your emotions."

"Is that true? I was under the impression that I had to hold my tongue, even in front of you, Lord Phantomhive."

"You are the one person who does not need to hold back in my presence, Lady Bethany, though you should be mindful of who is in our company when you do. It wouldn't do for rumors to spread about you, especially in your condition. Additionally, you may call me just Ciel when we are among houseservants like this."

"In that case, I feel angry."

"Is that so? Why do you feel so upset?"

The words came pouring out. "I cannot help it, even towards you, Ciel. Your servants allowed that man to get close to me against my wishes. I came here to be treated with respect. In your mansion, as your fiancée, I expect to be protected. Yet you failed me. I don't take that lightly, and I expect you to take responsibility for that." By the end of it, I was crying so much, my biscuits were ruined. Not that I had an appetite to begin with.