Twenty Five

Over the next week or so, running on very little sleep, even collectively, everyone, Mike, Nel, Kirstie, Jeremy, Avi, and even Kevin, searched for his rapist. All the while, he slept on, heart beat finally stable.

We tried so very hard, but, finally, we had to stop because we were going no where.

"Maybe, when Mitch wakes up, he might be able to give us some clue as to who it was." Kirstie suggested, the 'when' almost painful. I had been preparing myself to say goodbye to him.

Not only did he over dose on a lot of dangerous drugs, he also had a concussion. Thankfully, the swelling on his face has gone down and the bruise was turning into the yellowish-green of a healing bruise. His arms were looking bad, the cuts deep and just a total mess. The doctors told us that the type of cut he had was one of the hardest to stitch back up, but they tried. They said that they were unsure about the outcome.

One of the nurses, a kind, older lady with graying chestnut hair and a wrinkled face, was always the one that dealt with his bandages and things like that when she was on shift, and she always talked to Mitch.

"You know, son, you have a whole lot of people that have been practically living in this room with you. They really do love you. I know, because I lost my own child to suicide, that something in your brain isn't firing right. But, despite that, I have some advice for you, so listen close. Fight! I do not know what demons you have, but fight them as best you can, fight until you return to your family because they love you more than words will ever say. Return to those that have been here for you, be it here, or on the other side of the veil." She said almost the same words every time She changed his bandages, check his fluids, looked on his monitors.

Once, she offered to get some people to give him a blessing, but we all declined. Only Kevin was really religious, but the rest of us just wanted to be in the room alone without strangers.

Occasionally, everyone would leave to go home, either to shower or to sleep, except me. On the rare occasions I did sleep, it was always in that uncomfortable chair beside his bed, with my cheek on the thin sheet and blanket.

When it was only Mitch and I in the room, I would talk to him and hope that he could hear me.

"You know, Mitchie. If you don't come back from this, I am going to miss you. But it is up to you whether you want to stay or go. I have a secret to tell you, though I told you before." I paused and have a quiet, bitter laugh. "Why is it that I can never muster the courage to tell you this when your eyes are open?" Again, I let silence fill the room as I held his hand. "I love you. I love how, even when you were in pain, or scared, you always protected others. Tuesday told me how, many times, he only got out of punishment or rape because you took it for him. I wish I could be that selfless, but I can't. You can bet, though, that I will try my absolute hardest to be. I fell in love with that rare, genuine smile I saw you give. How, in the hospital, and back at home, it was always is Tuesday okay? Does he need anything? Always his needs above yours, even if you were starving. I fell in love with the determination in your eyes when you finally managed to work up enough to get out of bed. I love you because of these and so many more. I will always think of your well being above mine, even if you do not reciprocate the feelings." I fell silent and just sat there, staring at the heart monitor as it rose and fell.

I reached a hand up and cradled his cheek, running my rough thumb over the tender skin on his cheek.

As I watched the monitor, the heart beat changed. It sped up. Just a little, but is was a speed up. I sat up, looking back and forth between the machine and the dark haired boy beside me. Why was did his heart rate change? Was he reacting to something they have gave him? God. He didn't need that in his life.

I picked his hand up and kissed it tenderly, like I had done so many times. "Come on, Mitchie. Please, fight for me." I murmured and raised a hand up to swipe his hair out of the way. It was unwashed, greasy. Then, I cupped his cheek, leaned over, and pressed my lips against his cheek.

Oh, how I wanted to claim his pale lips as mine, and yet, I knew it was just wishful thinking, childish fantasies.

As I went to sit back down, his heart rate quickened again. I stared at it. What was happening? In a little over a week, that machine had never changed.

Then, there was a movement in my hand. His finger was twitching slightly. Just a small, insignificant movement. But it was a twitch.

"Please. Fight!" I whispered, kissing each of his fingers. "They need you. I need you. Please come back."

I don't know what I was hoping to happen as I murmured those words, but his finger stilling and the monitor slowing down was not it. I heaved a small sign and let my head fall onto the bed, looking away from him. I don't know how long I sat there like that before He moved again. This time, it was accompanied by a sound of pain.

I had never moved as fast as I did then, turning to look. There was Mitch, staring at me with hazy eyes. Then, around his breathing tube, he begged something of me. That plea stayed with me, even as I told the nurse and his family was notified.

It was a promise I was going to keep, no matter what. Now, I had two Promises, both which I would honor as long as I could.

"Please, Scotty. Please never leave me alone."

~°~
The last chapter of Found. I actually really liked writing this book, even though my muse disappeared at times. And all of you beautiful readers made every up and down so worth it!

Thankfully, this one wasn't as dark as book one. I don't think, anyway. I could be wrong.

Oh, and stay Sexy
-Scomiche❤💛💚💙💜