Chapter 25: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

“I thought you said you weren’t telling anyone.” Kale lamented in the car seat next to me, his eyes on the road and dull as the gray asphalt bellow us.

“I didn’t!” I complained, peeking back in the back seats to see a chattering Parker, Aaron, Drake and Alex. I grimaced at Alex, even though his back was faced towards me. I did this so I could get away from them all, especially him. And although my heart seemed to like the change of plans, I certainly did not.

“Then how did they know?” Kale muttered, quickly glancing at me.

Parker must’ve overheard our conversation and turned his blonde head around, grinning bright like a thousand suns, “Guilty!” He cheered, as if he were proud of it.

Yet again, I assumed Parker used one of his mysterious and unquestioned tactics to obtain this information. I was afraid to ask, so I just sat there angrily.

“And what a good thing you did!” Aaron said, giving him a high five, “We would have left poor Kale and Sam all alone!” He said, mock pouting.

Kale muttered something inaudible under his breath before Alex said, “Can’t let that happen,” and then flashed me an all knowing smirk.

I scowled and whipped my head back around towards the road. It didn’t take long to notice that with his spare hand, Kale was scribbling down something on one of the old receipts that laid there on the floor. When he had finished, he checked to see that the coast was clear in the rearview mirror before passing me the note. I swiftly grabbed the note eagerly and read the words over and over again:

At 7:45, we run.

That made me grin. I looked to the clock it was 7:38 and we were about two more minutes away from the theater. I wrote back in my illegible chicken-scratch writing and passed it over to Kale:

Where do we go?

He quickly wrote down a response, as if he’d already planned days ago. In a second, he’d finished the note. He passed it discreetly again to me:

Anywhere.

I bit back a smile. I scrawled down immediately:

Count me in.

---

“What movie are we seeing?” Parker asked at precisely 7:42.

“Pfft.” Drake snorted, pushing himself to the front of the candy stand, “What does the movie matter? I want candy,” He said eagerly, handing the stunned cashier a 20 dollar bill and picking out several boxes of candy.

Parker ignored him, “So what movie?”

“That one with the guy.” Alex answered Parker, shoving his hands in his pockets.