Chapter 33: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

“We need to talk.”

She pursed her lips, crossing her arms defensively. She cocked her head to the side, “About what?”

“About Parker.” I said firmly, gritting my teeth at his name. Parker had been my friend for ages, but if he knew her secret and was taking advantage of Sam, that wouldn’t matter. I could feel my blood pressure rising already at the sheer thought of it.

Her eyebrows shot up, “What about him?”

I felt my nails dig into the shelf behind her, not sure exactly how to phrase my question so that it didn’t sound like I was accusing her of being irresponsible. “Well…” I mumbled, “He seems like he…knows something.”

Her eyebrow went up even higher, “Would you care to clarify?”

I sighed, not wanting to have to say it again, no matter how vaguely I phrased it the first time. “Well…it seems like he knows your secret.”

For all of one second, it was quiet before she burst out into laughter, “Ha! Parker? Knowing my secret? Where’d you get that from!? Parker doesn’t even know the difference between his lefts and rights!” She cackled, slapping the wall.

I sighed, not sure why she was laughing at such a serious time. “Then why did he get all feely touchy with you 5 minutes ago?!” I felt myself blurt out, immediately regretting it the second she stopped laughing to look at me seriously.

“He was helping me dry off.” She snapped indignantly, her eyes furious. “And he does not know my secret. You’re the only one here who does.”

Except for Kale.

“So don’t get so mad at me.” She added, frowning. “And why does it concern you? You’re so wrapped up with that precious Melanie chick.”

I blinked twice, “What? Am not!”

“You two were all chitty-chatty and grinning at each other.” Sam retorted, her hands on her hips defensively, “I was beginning to think you forgot that any of us were here.”

I furrowed my brows. I wasn’t talking to her that much! Only to tell her that I wasn’t interested. “I’m not interested in Melanie.” I restated, frowning.

“Mm hmm?” She questioned as if she didn’t believe me when I said it.

“I only talked to her to tell her that I wasn’t interested.” I snapped.

She frowned, looking as if she truly wanted to believe, but couldn’t.

I looked back at her, her dark blue eyes glinting with determination to prove me wrong. “Anyway, back to what I was saying. I’m just saying that you shouldn’t let boys get that close to you. Especially Parker.”

She sighed, not excited to be back on the topic of my rant. “Parker loves Katie.” She said sternly, her mind made up. “And what’s the big deal? I’m careful all the time.”