Chapter 26: I'm Obviously A Girl. But none of you idiots have to know that...

“I hate today.” Drake said in annoyance, furrowing his brows angrily as he dug into his egg salad. “I really hate it.” He added bitterly, stabbing a crouton with his plastic fork and pulverizing it into the table until it was only a small pile of dust.

“Whoa, there, Freddy Krueger,” Alex whistled, inching away from Drake. “Put the plastic utensils down.”

I laughed, hearing Kale swallowing his water before saying, “Why do you hate it so much?” He ventured, cocking his head to the side.

Drake paused, looking around the wide eyed table in disbelief. He narrowed his eyes, squinting at us like we were all from another planet, “You mean you don’t know what today is?” He asked us, dumbfounded.

We all shook our heads simultaneously, on the same beat like a metronome.

“February 14!” He said exasperatedly, throwing his hands up in the air.

Silence. We all waited for the catch.

He continued to stare at us in palpable disbelief. He sighed, “Valentines Day!”

We all paused awkwardly. I heard Alex’s head hit the table and he muttered, “Dammit!”

After the silence had recited and everyone was quietly talking again, Kale spoke out, “What’s so bad about Valentine’s Day?” Kale asked; confused at why the 3 most perverted people I knew were upset about Valentine’s Day.

Aaron gaped at me in disbelief, “My god, man! Don’t you know how seriously horrible this day is?!” He shrieked in terror like he was a woman in an old horror movie.

“…Actually, no, I don’t either.”Kale said, pausing. Actually, as I remembered it, February 14th was the first day I fell for Kale. So yeah, it was a pretty good day for me as it turned out.

“Here,” Parker said, enunciating slowly as if I were severely mentally handicapped, “I’m going to make this very clear. At a coed school, sure, Valentine’s Day is all fun and games, but here…in the wild, you’ve got to be on your toes.”

I furrowed my brows, “What do you mean?”

“On your toes means swift.”

I scoffed, “I know what that means.”

He threw his head back as he realized what I meant, “Ohh! You mean why!”

I snorted. “Yeah, kind of.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Should’ve just said so.” He scoffed, rolling his eyes as if he should be the one who was exhausted, “Well, here, like I said, in the wild, there’s kind of…” He looked around at Drake and Aaron for approval in disclosing this information, like it was a well-kept secret. Ironic, since they were the worst at keeping secrets. “Well, a tradition, dare I say.”