Two

Chapter's song: "Treat you better" by Shawn Mendes.

The fact that I'm driving towards my best friend's house to babysit her daughter on a Friday night says much about my social life

Or lack of.

However, my usual routine of watching Friend's reruns on Netflix sound much more appealing than babysitting Marianne.

I'm awful.

I adore Marianne, I do. Despite the fact that Emily defines her as willful, she is such a good baby. Especially since in her short span of life, she's been in more social events that I've ever been in my life. She loves to observe people and is a pretty calm baby. I love spending time with her.

Just not with Mark.

Childish and immature come to mind whenever I think of him, and I am a patient person. Most of the time. Not with him, though.

It doesn't take me more than half an hour to get there. I take the longest route, hoping to be stuck in traffic, but I have no luck. However, the guilt of screwing my friend's date is unbearable.

Emily and Scott live on the outskirts of London. Their house has a massive wall surrounding the property. It's really hard not to miss. Yet, I understand. When you're married to the future King of England, you guard your privacy as if it is the Crown's treasure. I stop my car at the gates, waiting for Samuel, one of their usual bodyguards, to get a clearance call. He never makes it when it comes to me. He knows me too well.

I'm parking my car, next to Mark's pompous black BMW, when Emily steps out of the house, wearing a beautiful black dress and looking absolutely stunning for just having a baby. I feel bad for the fact that she was forced to follow a strict diet even when she was pregnant. Being fat and a public figure, didn't go well. Plus, she didn't want to add more complains to her never-ending feud with the actual Queen, Scott's grandmother.

I can't blame her. That woman scares the crap out of me, too.

"You made it!" She embraces me in a bear hug and I pat her back awkwardly. Scott's brown head peeks from the door, and he shakes it before disappearing.

"Em, are you okay?" I pull away, straightening my t-shirt and admiring how different she looks from all the previous times I've been here. Lately, all she wears are yoga pants and t-shirts stained with milk spots near the shoulders.

Her green eyes are wide as she bites her lip. "I've never left Marianne alone. Ever." Her tone is soft, her jaw starts to quiver and her eyes tear up. "And I'm too freaking emotional!" She gestures towards her eyes and raises both hands completely frustrated.

My stomach clenches because I wanted to be late.

Bad Kate. Bad, bad Kate.

"She's staying in good hands, Em." She raises her eyebrow, pressing her lips together in a straight line. "She is! I'm here! And Mark can be a douchebag but he loves Marianne." I can see that Emily is frowning. Crap. Bad choice of words. "Gosh," I gesture to her outfit, "did I tell you how amazing you look?"