Epilogue

Chapter's Song: Dionne Bromfield - Ain't No Mountain High Enough

We took things slow.

The fact that I agreed to marry him, didn't mean that we were announcing our engagement officially, or that Mark had given me a ring.

In fact, even after eight months, he still hadn't. We had rushed through everything, so we could wait and enjoy just being together.

It was hard at the beginning, because it was that, a fresh start. We both knew that we loved each other, but time is the only one that can heal all wounds. For starters, Mark had to accept that his jealousy outburst came from his insecurities, and I had to accept that I'd been immature by not talking to him when I had the chance. We talked about everything, about the baby, how I felt, how we both hurt in our own way and how I thought it was pretty selfish of him to just walk away because it was the easiest choice.

Forgiving someone takes time, and effort but most of all, love.

There were days when I was incredibly crabby at him and I snapped at anything, and it was until I understood that I was still mad that I could let it go. It took months of talks, tears and many awkward words. We even considered going to therapy, but I knew that it could be something that was very hard for Mark, so we tried by ourselves and when things seemed really dark, we tried harder.

After all this time, I learned to love Mark, with his ups and downs, and he learned to love me with my crabby moments and all. And I knew that everything had only made us stronger. Our relationship was based on communication and honesty, even thought it sometimes felt incredibly hard, but he was my best-friend, my lover, my everything.

And it was about damn time he gave me that ring, too.

I wake up with that thought in mind and smile to myself. As much as I know Mark now, he's still clueless half of the time. Last Christmas we had a gift exchange, and I wanted a cute bracelet, with journalism charms. I even took him to the jewelry store and pointed out the charms I wanted, and he still got me climbing gear. I roll my eyes as I stand up. Mark is right beside me and I gaze at him for a moment. He's the same and yet, so different. I know it applies to me as well. He's practically moved in with me, although he still has some stuff on his house, but he never sleeps there. I guess we're so used to being together that we haven't really thought much about officially moving in, it just happened.

While I step inside the kitchen, I have to move the climbing gear to the side because it's in the middle of the room. I set up the coffee machine and start preparing breakfast because I know Mark will be up I no time and he's wanted to go climbing for a couple of weeks now, so he'll probably want to miss breakfast or something. Or worse. Have it on top of the mountain.

When the coffee is gurgling, I start the music. "All the single ladies" start to play and I smile. I've been listening to the same song over and over again, hoping that he gets the hint. As I pour coffee in my mug, I think things through.