Thirty-Five

Chapter's song:Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes

"I need to talk to you."

"Hold on, give me five minutes and I'll call you."

The call ends, and I lay on my bed.

I have no idea why I've felt so down lately. I don't think it could be because Mark is being an amazing boyfriend, or maybe it is. I mean, it's like the whole universe collapsed or something. Mark is being awesome and I'm being a bitch.

Yet for whatever reason, I can't help but feel as if I'm cheating on him, and I'm not. Not if you count thinking about your ex-boyfriend from time to time, or hearing the phone ring when I'm with Mark and praying to God that it isn't Scott. But, that's what cheating, loser women feel like, right?

My phone rings again and I slid my finger over the green button to get that video-call.

"I'm sorry, I dropped Marianne with her dad and I'm all yours now. For the next ten minutes or so before she starts bawling and I'll have to go get her," Em passes a hand through her forehead. I can see the protruding belly from the position she's holding her phone. She'll have the baby in no-time, and she's eager to meet her newborn soon.

"Sorry," I mumble embarrassed. I know she's having a hard time since her pregnancy is almost up.

"I don't want to sound insensitive, but Kate, spill it out." She exhales and starts to rub her belly.

Nodding, I sigh. "Remember my ex?" Her whole body goes still as her eyes widen. "He called me about two weeks ago. And he professed his undying love for me," I roll my eyes, but my chest tightens all the same.

"Don't tell me you're thinking about taking him back!"

I shake my head. "I'm not! I even told him I'd moved on!"

My best friend narrows her eyes. "So? Why do you sound like you're panicking?"

"Because I'm an idiot! And I am!"

Someone calls Emily, and she grabs her phone. "Wasn't his partner pregnant or something?" She asks in a hushed tone as the camera moves and I can see flashes of her room and then everything goes dark. "I mean, it's not even important, but isn't he a Dad?"

"Are you hiding inside your closet?"

"It's not comfortable, let me tell you! But this is an emergency, Scott can handle his daughter for more than twenty minutes, damn it!" If I weren't feeling so drained, I would have laughed, but I can't. I feel like this whole ordeal has sucked up all the energy. I feel so bloody tired. "What's worrying you, Kate?"

"I'm so confused. I swear that ever since we broke up I wanted to hear that he was suffering that he realized how much of an idiot he was and how much he needed me in his life." I hear my friend sigh. "And now, after the words have actually left his mouth, I don't feel accomplished or happy. It's bittersweet..."