THIRTY TWO.

wow. okay, this was one of the hardest chapters that i've ever had to write. i can't actually believe that trepidation is almost finished. this is the last chapter of the story before the epilogue. thank you all so much for your relentless support and love for this story and the characters that i've created. you guys mean the world to me. thank you. -mags
(as always, it's very unedited. will fix it soon.)

THIRTY TWO ; PROMISES

The jet that took off from Quantico seemed to only get slower as the team came closer to their destination. No one could sit still. The task at hand was too large to shake from anyone's minds.

All focus was on Hotch as he emerged from the back of the plane. The leader tucked his phone into his pocket, eyes tired as he met the gazes of his teammates. "I alerted the Visalia police of our situation," he said. "The chief told me that they would be ready as soon as we arrived. They're surveying the railroads as we speak."

"How far away are we, Hotch?" Callahan asked, finger softly tapping against the arm of the sofa.

"About an hour," replied Aaron. A collective sigh left the lips of all.

JJ glanced over to Spencer who sat beside her. The genius had one hand covering his face, eyes closed. The blonde knew that his mind was racing faster than any of theirs, most likely having gone over every single outcome of the situation before them multiple times. She knew it was tearing him apart. This couldn't happen to him. Not again.

She placed a hand on Spencer's arm, retracting it as he flinched. "You alright?" she asked quietly, so that he was the only one to hear her. He glanced at her quickly then nodded absentmindedly. "Spence-"

"Jennifer, I said I was fine," he hissed, the volume of his voice matching hers. JJ's eyes widened slightly, knowing not to take his outburst to heart as his expression fell. Spencer sighed, eyes shutting briefly. "I'm sorry. I'm just-"

"I know Spence," she replied, patting his arm lightly. "I know."

And then they went quiet. The plane was once again filled with silence, each member too focused on what was to come.

They couldn't lose Quinn Carson. Not now. Not ever.

-----

"Q?" The voice awoke her. Quinn's eyes snapped open, only to be met with the darkness of the room she had been placed in. "Q, are you in there?"

"Morgan?" she whispered, unable to believe the exactly what she was hearing.

"Is that her?" Her breath caught in her throat. That was JJ's voice. "You think she's in that car?"