Chapter Twenty-Four

5 MONTHS LATER

Kristen's POV

"You're going to close this afternoon, right?" I pulled the loose strand of hair away from dangling in front of my sight, once again, before moving my hand back down to the bouquet. My teeth sunk down in my tongue as I shuffled around the flowers.

"Yeah, sure," Morgan's voice was muffled and I looked over only to see a stem lodged between their teeth. I chuckled and went back to finishing the arrangement. I exchanged some words with Morgan, before packing up my things.

Strolling down the sidewalk, I took in the busy street. I still felt so lucky that I was able to get a place to live and a job a very little while after I had left. And I enjoyed the freedom of it every day.

"Hey, Kristen, how was your day?" The lady with the tight bun greeted me with a smile as I walked in the door. I quickly returned the gesture. Ms. Slater was kind enough to let me into her house, saving me from living in the streets. She had one other young woman living in her house, who was running from an abusive brother. Ms. Slater provided us with food and a bed and asked for nothing in return. She wanted us to save the money we earned for ourselves, so we could buy our own apartments.

"It was good, thanks. Not much happened." I told her, before filling the kettle with water. "Want some tea?" I asked her. She was seated at the dinner table, reading the paper while the scratchy radio played a tune from at least ten years ago.

"Yes, thank you, dear."

As I stood in the kitchen, my hands on the wooden countertop, memories flooded back. Laughing at Emanual's lack of talent in the kitchen and simply just being with him. That was just before I found out about him. Before I found out that a whole world had been hidden from me.

I was over what had happened, though. It had taken time, but I wasn't angry at Emanual or any of his friends longer. But unfortunately, Emanual hadn't left my thoughts. Everywhere I went, memories of him and I filled my entire head, but I couldn't find it in me to try to forget about him. The only thing that bothered me was that he wasn't here.

The fact that I missed him had taken me more than four months to admit to myself.

"Do you mind going to the store after the tea, Kristen? We need something for supper." Her raspy voice brought me out of my trance and I was quick to say yes.

"I'll just get it done now. I'll drink my tea after," I smiled at her and went back for my jacket and shoes.

The breeze was fresh when I returned outside. I maneuvered around groups of people, doing my best to smile at everybody as I passed them. But the crook of my lips quickly fell when I noticed a girl walking my way. Her soft features almost blinded me with memories. My heart stopped for a second before beating twice its normal speed.

Sarah didn't notice me, but I sure did notice her.

My head quickly fell, as I tried my best to walk past her without her seeing me. I held my breath when someone nudged me closer to her, and our shoulders brushed against each other. Pulling away as quickly as possible, I quickened my pace and didn't stop till I was a block further down.

"Fuck," I swore under my breath. My lungs felt too small and my legs felt like I had run a marathon. I stood still for a while, up against a brick wall of a corner. The worst thing was, this wasn't only the feeling of anxiety. My heart felt empty. I needed someone. And I knew exactly who that was.

• • •

Emanual's POV

Tightening my grip on the pen once again, I tapped it against the desk. I was unable to focus on anything, my mind always straying back to what was missing. It had been so long now. You would think being separated for this long would diminish the yearning, but the broken feeling had stayed within me throughout these last five months. I still couldn't believe I had let her go. Every single day I was ready to go out, find her and never leave her side again. But I never did. I knew this was what she wanted, somehow. It killed me, but making her happy was a priority I swore to keep as long as I breathed.

"Alpha?" a muffled voice sounded through the wooden door after three quick knocks. I sighed before answering, "yes?". The door slowly slid open and the familiar face of Sarah appeared.

"Hey," the smile of sympathy covered her face like it had every other day since my world left. Her voice had also softened when she was around me. The pity had frustrated me, and I had voiced my annoyance several times, but Sarah didn't stop. I knew she felt bad for me. This was seen as basically the worst thing to happen to a werewolf. And it had happened to me. A cold pang hit my chest and I nearly groaned.

"I'm heading to Greenstone today, wanna join?" 

"Oh, no thank you, Sarah. I need to get some work done," I gestured to the stacks of papers that were scattered across the desk and sent her my best apologetic smile, but we both knew the smile was fake. I just wanted to stay here, in case Kristen came back. 

"Alright, sure." She nodded a bit, as if she was expecting this. Stepping to the side of my desk, she opened her arms. 

"Hug?" Before I knew it, I was burrying my head in her shoulder and a shaky breath left my throat. Another sting flew through my chest and I slowly let her go. As Sarah left, I sat back in my chair. Pieces of my heart were dropping down to my stomach and forming a lump in my throat.

What was I going to do without her?

__________________________________

aw they both miss each other :( i'm sick at the moment so thats why i finally have time to write so i guess there's an upside to this (also missing school although i kinda miss my friends and its boring here. School is just so scary and i get like a small wave of sadness and homesickness three times a day)

oh well! thank you for reading this chapter! please remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed it. I really loved your surprised comments in the last chapter, it's proof that this story does actually somewhat means something. 

I can't promise any soon updates because of school, sorry guys. but we'll see :) 

- the coughing writer