Chapter Thirty-Six

Kristen's POV

"What the hell was that?!" Sarah shrieked, just as the first scream fell down. Emanual had immediately gone back to me, stretching his body enough to cover my sitting frame. The feeling of uselessness and foolishness simmered down for a minute and I cowered behind Emanuals silhouette. My fingers felt stone cold as I folded them around the armrests of my chair and I desperately tried to lift myself with my arms, well knowing that if something was to happen, the unhealed wound would take me down.

It didn't take long for running footsteps to be heard around us and I knew it must be the guards. Still, I pushed myself further into the corner of the room, the what-if questions pounding in my head.

"You two," Emanual loudly spoke, pointing at two guards, one of them being the woman with hair of fire.

"Escort my mate out of this building and bring her to my house." He ordered and I lowered my body further down at his tone. The two people started nearing me and I sat up straight, backing myself into the back of the chair.

"Wait, no!" With wide eyes, I looked at Emanual, then at the woman to see that she and the other woman behind her had stopped before my flailing arms.

"Kristen, I don't want any problems from you right now."

"You can't be serious! I was a part of this. I deserve to see what's going on!" I yelled at him, hoping he wouldn't see my eyes watering. The hurt of the truth Calvin had told me still burned in my heart.

"You're a human in a wheelchair. It's not even up for discussion." He stated, in a robot-like tone. Turning his front to the two guards, he continued, "stay with her in the house."

• • •

The air was tight in the living room. My painkillers had started wearing off and my body didn't let me forget. Drops of saltwater flowed their way to my inner corners and I blinked, hoping the warm feeling of the tears would spread and dissolve. I was tired of crying. And I definitely didn't want to in front of them.

Emanual was only interested in me because of the mate bond. I could state that as a fact now. The monotony in his voice when he commanded that I left made it clear. He only wanted me in his house, locked up for him to have whenever he has nothing else to do. My heart felt ambivalent, and I wrapped my sweater-clad arms around my chest to keep it contained. 

The two guards were standing in the living room, each with their back to a wall and close to a doorway. I glanced at the redhead and stiffened when our gazes clashed. Her strong eyes held mine and the curiosity that burned within them was clear. Realization hit me and I let my gaze fall. 

"Are you okay, Alpha?" She asked me. Concern wasn't a part of her question, I noticed. Maybe she just felt like it was part of her job. I wanted to tell her not to call me that, but I knew I shouldn't drag her into any of this. She wouldn't care, either. 

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," I muttered, loud enough for her senses to hear. 

"You look like you're about to cry," she stated as a fact and I looked at her in disbelief. She turned her head to the other guard, who was shooting her a hard glare. They exchanged looks for a second and she rolled her eyes, before looking at me again. 

"Is it because of Alpha Emanual?" 

"Elle, stop." Her Coworker warned with a deep voice. 

"Come on! The Alpha isn't even treating her like an equal! He just stores her in this empty house." Elle protested and I looked down at my hands. I didn't need any more people giving the pernicious truth a voice.

"It isn't our place." The other woman stated and Elle dropped her angry expression at the guard's hard tone. They both quieted down and the house became silent again. 

Hours went by and all I could think of was: Calvin was right.

My body jumped from its dozing state as a loud slamming noise went through the house. My sight blurred and I saw two familiar silhouettes leave the room. Low voices and mumbling. 

Emanual walked in a bit later, bags hanging under his eyes and rolled up sleeves. Outside of the window, the sky was dark and the wind was howling through every small crack in the house. 

"Hi," his voice was a bit more hoarse than usual. He sat down next to me and his hand moved up to touch my hair. Quickly moving away from his touch, I made sure not to look at him. I didn't know what to say or what to do. And I hated that it felt good to have him this close to my body. In my head, I prayed and begged for him not to confront me, so I didn't have to confront him.

"What's wrong?" He didn't sound angry at least. As I didn't answer within the next three seconds, he added, "Don't you want to know what it was in the old prison building?"

I nodded slowly, still having my head turned away from him. 

"It was a young woman and a man who had been missing from another pack down south. They were alive but they were suffering a lot from starvation. It if hadn't been for them being werewolves, they wouldn't have survived." Emanual told me. The image of two young people being stuck there for two weeks filled my head and I almost felt sad for them, but the cracking of my heart cried much louder. 

Only the howling wind could be heard for a minute and I could feel his gaze on me. The guards had given me a sweater from 'my' room and a blanket from the couch, and everything smelled mildly of Emanual. I had enjoyed it, but now it felt dumb. He could probably smell it, too.

"I'm gonna pick up some dinner," he declared and I watched as he left the room. I sighed loudly, breathing properly for the first time since he came in. As I exhaled, my eyelids closed softly and in pace with my lungs, tears rolled down my cheeks. 

_________________________________________

Hii! I feel like i wrote this chapter quicker than usual (but maybe i'm wrong) 

i just got a week-long break from school, stress and homework so i hope i can get to write more.

hope you liked this chapter and please please please remember to VOTE and maybe even COMMENT if you feel like it <33

thank you for reading