Chapter Twenty-Nine

** trigger warning: abuse, gaslighting, brainwashing, manipulation ** (if this is something you don't want to read, you can message me and I'll give you a short summary of the chapter) 

Kristen's POV

"Stop fucking crying, will you?" Calvin snarled at me and I jumped, whipping my pounding head around towards him. The tears on my cheeks were dry, but the sobs of anxiety didn't stop. I couldn't breathe properly, every time I inhaled, my lungs suddenly stopped working, making me hiccup and gasp for air. 

He had earlier brought a chair into the room, right below the light bulb. It didn't take much from him to force me down on the chair and twist the rough rope around my sore body. I didn't know how long I had been on the wooden chair, but the rope had begun to nag my sensitive skin and my back begged for me to get up. 

My eyes ran over his figure and they paused when I noticed a scrap of paper in his hand. It was unclear what it was, but a dreadful anticipation rose in me.

Clammy fingers wrapped around my jaw, and he pulled me up from my slack position. I timidly peeked up at him. My nose kept running and my cheeks felt crispy from dried tears. Another hiccup jumped through my chest and choked me for a second. His hard gaze met mine.

While squeezing my jaw, the wrinkled piece of paper was waved in front of my face. I widened my eyes as I instantly recognized it. How did he even find that photo? Tears sprung to my eyes, eager to show how much power that small piece of paper had over me. Pain and sadness washed over me instantly. I curled my toes and averted my eyes away from the old, faded photograph.

The photograph had already been tattooed on the inside of my eyelids, so turning my head away didn't help much. Seeing my parents on that small piece of paper had always been something I could find comfort in, but for the first time, it only extended my heartache. 

"I found this lying around somewhere," Calvin casually says, as he continues to wave it in my face. "And that little girl looks awfully familiar." He states, almost as if he's talking to himself. 

"Where are mommy and daddy now?" He made a small pout with his lower lip. Emotions were flying through my body and I stayed quiet, making him continue. I had already spat at him once about how my parents didn't leave me but died. I was too exhausted to try again. 

"I can tell you if you don't know the truth," his expression was mocking me, and I knew I shouldn't be listening to his lies. But his words still caught my attention. 

I watched as he pulled a folded piece of paper out of his pocket. His fingers spread out the paper, which I noticed had printed text on it. 

"'This lease agreement is entered by and between Melissa Trevis and Henry Burns on the 2nd of February, 2010.'" He read out loud. I barely had time to react to my father's name before he continued talking in a monotone voice. 

"'Landlord hereby leases the premises located at 4612 New Creek Road, City of Fort Wayne, State of Indiana to Tenant.'" My eyes had teared up by the time he finished reading the first couple of lines of the document. I didn't know what to think of this. My mind was exhausted. I had barely gotten any sleep since I got here, and ever since he brought the chair in, he had been sure to keep me awake. 

"Henry is your father, isn't he?" The smile didn't fall from his lips. The sense of victory in his face was evident. Breaking my heart was a victory. 

"Is this even real?" My throat was sore when I spoke, and there was an obvious hesitation in it. 

"If you want to have a look, you can." He placed the form on my lap and my eyes ran over the text. My gaze could barely focus on the small, black letters. It didn't help that it was full of words only a lawyer could understand. I returned my gaze to Calvin and he raised an eyebrow.

"Not so dead, huh?" He placed a hand on my shoulder and leaned down, putting all of his weight on me. It was clear that he wanted me to feel as if he towered over me, like a monster waiting to pounce, and he easily succeeded. A sob left my rough throat and I winced at the pain.

I felt betrayed, utterly confused, wrecked and heartbroken. Anger also surfaced from the pit of my stomach. My father was alive. Everyone had told me he was dead. I even recalled going to his funeral. Was it all fake? Was my mother also alive? My exhaustion threw a veil of negativity over all of my thoughts, and I couldn't find it in myself to be happy that my father was alive.  

"Your parents never died. They probably just didn't want you." He nodded and shrugged as he spoke. My heart ached when he spoke the truth, and I felt as such I had to tense my entire body to keep my shattered emotions inside of me. My chest shook with another violent sob. 

"Don't waste your tears on them, sweetheart." He plucked a tear from my cheek, and it wobbled on his rough fingertip in front of my eyes. I squeezed my eyes shut. 

"You should only be around people who actually care about you. Don't waste your time or tears on those who don't like you for who you are." What he said was true. His sympathetic voice reached my weakened heart and tore its way through its lowered shield. 

His fingers reached my cheek, and this time I didn't flinch. 

________________________________

I discovered 8tracks and the amazing people there who make playlists and I'm so happy.

I'm currently hunched over in my bed with a hot water bottle because.. cramps. but I thought, since I'm stuck in bed, might as well finish this chapter! 

(people always comment on Kristen Stewart's pic that she's bad or whatever, but she's one of my biggest celeb crushes and I wanna marry her so stop hating on her just because it's what everyone does without any reason, okay?? okay. rant over, carry on)

today beloved was #67 in werewolf and it's super encouraging. never imagined that I would be able to have a story with these numbers and I'm so grateful. so, thank you. 

Please don't forget to comment your thoughts and vote if you liked the chapter. If the comment is directed at my writing or just something that is more than "please update" (although I don't discourage those at all!), I always try my best to answer <3 I see every comment. 

-a small elf, who has probably eaten about 150 caramels these past 4 days