Chapter 6 [THE SURVIVOR] - The Price of Freedom [NOTE]

SO

SO.. as you know this is a work in progress. I have a general outline of the plot, and have whole chapters in my head, that are basically already complete, down to the actual words I mean to use, and just need typing out.

This is one such chapter..

as chapters go, it is in itsself fairly unspectacular, and only serves to color in the bit that comes after, which is already completely written, contains a minor revelation and - hopefully - lots of feels all around.
I've also finished the chapter that comes after, introducing two new characters, (and later, the first intact 'tribe') waiting to be posted.

I'm dying to post the other stuff, and can't concentrate on this minor ''connecting piece'', especially so, since all I'm missing to be able to post the next Maki/Bennett Chapters is a much more interesting connecting piece.

Also, there will be a final ''Interlude'' that will end with introducing a major character aswell, that just needs typing, as well as the first of the ''skippable'' chapters - which are going to be called ''Tiny Fates'', as well as detailed plans for a second.

So with all that in mind, I've decided to just give a summary of this chapter, and return to type it out later, so I can finally proceed an clear my head a little.
Plus, I'm dying to know what you think of what I've come up with.. ;)
So, without further ado here goes:

[While at first Mr.J. is not quite sure how to proceed - there are so many things he wishes to do.

(actual bit of chapter)
''part of him wanted to lure the fellow out, show him to his family, his friends, shout it out to the world, another part ached to tear open the wall, just to see how the little person - this fantastical creature- lived, marvel at all the [ x] strange things he must surely have collected and what use he made out of them.
He wanted to question the tiny one, learn all there was to know - oh he had so many questions! Where did he come from? What was he, were there others like him, how was his existence even possible? How had he lived so far, where had he been, what had he seen? What was his life like?

Part of him wondered, if it wasn't his duty to science to catch the creature, that he might be studied, and another part was overwhelmed with the simple, child-like and innocent desire, to just pick the tiny person up, and be allowed to hold him in his hands, or carry him about the house.

But Mr. Jenners had left most of his ambition behind with his youth, and was at heart a kind and considerate man. Much as he might long for any of those things, he also didn't want to cause the tiny person undue distress, and he had, in time, learned one very important lesson:  ''

Namely, if you find something awesome and magical, don't fuck with it or you break it/ it's gone, but just appreciate the fact that you get to see/ experience/ be close to it. Like not plucking a pretty flower, or trying to hug a wild animal that tolerates your presence near it.

So, Mr J. doesn't directly approach the S. He does, however, offer gifts - that get refused (''No hand-outs, eh?'') - so, instead, he changes his habits slightly to accomodate the S. : ''forgetting'' the odd bit of food, ''loosing'' useful nic-nacs, talking ''to himself'' out loud when going over his plans/schedule, (''gee, I'll probably be busy working in here all evening, I'm really looking forward to dinner in an hour'' / ''I'll be gone all day tomorrow but I get to stay home all day the day after. I'll be having a lot of work to get done by then, won't I'' etc)

The S., while never overly bold, sometimes enters/exits via the shelf with Mr. J in the room.
Soon, Mr. J starts simply giving a short, friendly greeting to the S. when he comes in, and after some time, the S. starts to pause when that happens and give a short nod in return, before proceeding to do whatever. (Over the course of half a year Mr. J. goes from ''hello'' to ''Have a good trip/ Welcome back'' to ''See you later/Welcome home'', and simply talks to the J. directly, telling him when he'll be working in the study, when they're expecting visitors, or when the S. might have the house to himself.
Although the S. keeps his distance, a friendly understanding grows between the two)

Mr J. doesn't tell his wife or children outright of their house-guest, but starts telling the younger one stories about borrowers, and 'jokingly pretends' there is one living in the house, leaving no doubt, that that's not *really* the case. The little kid loves it, the older one thinks it's embarassing, and the wife thinks it's sweet, but slightly annoying.
However, as the S. becomes more comfortable living with the Jenners, he slips up, an the kids both see him.
Primed by their fathers stories, they too keep a respectful distance, and the S. grows fond enough them, to sometimes mess about with the stuff the younger keeps leaving out for him, and sometimes to let her catch the odd glimpse of him, and similar.

He is a lot more 'shy' with the older girl, but finds himself frequently near her, making up excuses to go. She too, seems greatly interested in him, but is also very shy about it.

At some point, she loses some precious small item, and the S. finds it for her.
In return, she makes a necklace out of a very tiny bead and thin string, buys a really small key-chain flashlight und a cookie, and leaves those things in front of the S' 'entrance'.
These are the only gifts he ever accepts.
Very, very slowly, and carefully, they start talking.

But then, disaster:
One of Mr J's students accuses him of raping her, to get back at him for giving her a failing grade.
It eventually becomes clear, that the accusation is false, but Mr J. cannot rid himself of the stigma, and despite his innocence, people keep looking at him with suspicion.]

(End of Chapter)

...and now for the good bits. ;)
(there'll be two videos/songs - by Amanda Palmer, not by be this time xD - just play them when they appear, and read on, when they're through)