Chapter 6 [THE SURVIVOR] - The Price of Freedom part 4

Mr. Jenners just sat there on the floor, leaning his back against the book-shelf he no longer had any use for. The trails the tears had left still very visible on his pain-stricken face.

Slowly, silently, the young man stepped out from his hiding place and sat down at the edge of the table, right there in plain sight. Mr. Jenners did not turn his head, but stated
''They left. She took the children, and they left.''

''I'm sorry for you'' the young man replied. Those were the first words he had ever spoken in Mr. Jenners hearing.

The older man just nodded.

"I never even touched that girl. She basically admitted making the thing up to get back at me for giving her that failing grade. Still lost the job.
Now Claire is gone. Took the girls.
So, what about you? Are you gonna leave too?''

''That depends.''
A smile.

Mr. Jenners nodded again.
''I understand. Depends on wether I go crazy or not. Well, I suppose that's fair.''
He paused.
''She left a note you know.Says not to try and look for them, and she would call the police if she saw me near my daughters.
Like I'm some kind of child-molester.
I never did a thing, but suddently I've turned into a monster.
Do you think I'm a monster?''

The survivor pondered this.
''... one of the nicer ones, maybe.''

Mr. Jenners barked a laugh.
''Ha! Should have considered who I'm talking to! Well, you certainly are one honest fellow. I like that. This world could use a few more of your sort.
Please, what is your name?''

The young man hesitated, drawing his hands through his ash-blond hair as he thought.
He was still the Survivor, would probably always be, but maybe he was also ready to have a Name again..

''Martin'', he said quietly.

''Pleased to finally make your aquaintance, Martin, my elusive house-guest!
I'm Walther, but everyone just calls me Walt.
Used to, anyway.''
Walt shook his head, the pain returning to his eyes.
''So, tell me, Martin'', he asked quietly, ''What now? What do you do whe you've lost everything you ever loved, everything you've ever cared about?''

Martin slowly looked up, fixing Walt with a stare full of fierce intensity, and in that moment, the tiny 18 year old boy looked a hundred feet tall.

''You survive.''

=========================================
___________________________________________

Psst! If you liked or hated the chapter,
don't forget to let me know! ;)

FEED ME!

=========================================
____________________________________________