[MAKI/BENNETT] Rendered Helpless

Bennett yawned, already thinking of his bed, and absently considering the best place for Maki to sleep.
Well, he supposed, the bed was as good a choice as any. It was certainly large enough to give her all the space she wanted. Yea, he decided, Maki could simply have Val's side and sleep there. That way, he didn't have to find a box or anything for her, and she could just wake him if there was anything she wanted.

Congratulating himself on his brilliant idea, Bennett thoughtlessly reached out to pick Maki up, but stopped abruptly, when he saw her flinch away slightly. Suddenly unsure how to proceed, he reached out again, only to stop once more and draw his hand back a little.

Um... wait.

How was he supposed to... ?

Did he just sort of grab her? That seemed kind of rude.
Maybe if he did it very slowly and carefully?
He reached out for a third time, only to halt and withdraw once more, when he suddenly realized that being picked up by some giant might be scary and unpleasant no matter how slowly or carefully he did it.

"Um.."

Bennett peered down at the tiny girl sitting on his kitchen table, before looking around helplessly, absently biting his lip.

Maybe if he found something she could climb on, and he could carry her that way? Would that be weird? And what if she fell?

He glanced back at Maki, feeling exceedingly awkward and insecure.

"So... um.. how- I mean, do I just...? Should I simply- well, I mean, can I- is it okay if I ..." Bennett trailed off, looking embarrassed.

Maki meanwhile had recovered from the scare he'd given her and was by now thoroughly amused.

She knew she shouldn't be, really, but his helpless, floundering attempts were just so comical and his insecurity and clumsiness was almost endearing.

There he was, huge and all powerful, reduced to a blundering, forlorn mess because he didn't know if and how he should pick her up, and too shy to even ask.

Maki giggled softly to herself and tried to suppress a grin. He really was an oaf, through and through.
After watching him struggle like that, the idea of him carrying her didn't seem so bad anymore. He'd be careful.

Taking pity, Maki decided to end his adorable suffering.

"Just put your hand on the table, palm up," she instructed. "But slowly."

The grateful, puppy-eyed look that greeted her words almost made her laugh out loud. Her tiredness made her giddy enough as it was, and the Oaf sure wasn't helping.

Bennett did as he was told, carefully and very slowly placing his open hand in front of her, and watched in undisguised awe as - after taking a deep breath to calm her nerves - Maki gingerly climbed onto it.

Sitting down in the Oaf's enormous hand was the strangest sensation.
His skin was very soft and warm beneath her, and the way Bennett carefully cupped his hand around her felt strangely comfortable. Part of Maki yearned to just lie down and snuggle up against his bare skin, imagining being surrounded by that cozy, warm softness on all sides.

She tried to get rid of the thought, but being as tired as she was, it proved to be very difficult.

Having Bennett hold her was disconcerting and utterly bizarre, yet somehow... not altogether unpleasant.
It scared Maki, made her feel exposed and vulnerable, while at the same time, she couldn't even remember ever feeling as safe and protected as she did then, secure in the knowledge that nothing and no one could ever harm her, as long as Bennett held her safely in his hands.

Plus... she didn't even remember the last time she had touched another person. She had been alone for so long, being suddenly surrounded by the soft, gentle warmth of another person's skin made her want to cry.

All those odd and conflicting emotions felt overwhelming and were far too much to deal with in her exhausted state, so Maki simply pushed them aside as best she could.

There would be plenty of time to puzzle things out after she had slept.

It was only then, that Maki noticed that Bennett wasn't taking her to her little nook under the stairs at all.

No, she realized, her eyes widening. The giant was carrying her off to his bedroom.