Chapter 4: Survival of the Fittest

I woke up before my alarm the next morning, before the sun threatened to rise

I woke up before my alarm the next morning, before the sun threatened to rise. I jumped out of bed, getting ready quickly. I pulled my bright red hair back into a high braid.

I hurried out the door and ran down the dirt-beaten path to the forest clearing where we were meeting, my footsteps crunching against the crisp dirt rapidly. I didn't want to be late. Today was an important day for my ninja career...I had to become a Genin. And prove to Kakashi that I'd earn it all on my own. I'm no pageant girl, k?

Sakura arrived at the same time as me, walking up from the opposite direction. She stayed a good five feet anyway from me. Sasuke arrived a few minutes later. Sakura seemed to perk up when he arrived, trying to chat him up to no avail. Naruto showed up fifteen minutes later, late and yawning, but still before Kakashi-sensei.

About thirty minutes later, Kakashi arrived, just as we were debating ditching the scene.

"Look who finally showed up!" I shouted, annoyed.

"You're late!" Sakura hissed, tapping her foot in annoyance.

"Yeah, slept in, my bad," Kakashi said, shrugging his shoulders. "A true man needs his beauty sleep."

At this point we were already pretty annoyed (and getting hungry), so we all huffed and narrowed our eyes in frustration.

"So what's our mission, sensei?" Naruto asked, yawning still, arms outstretched above his head.

"Oh...get these two little bells from me." Kakashi held up two tiny brass bells hanging from red strings.

"That's it?" Sasuke demanded, eyes closed, like he had this in the bag.

"Mission Jingle Bells," I said seriously. "Don't worry, Santa, I'm the Christmas miracle you've been dreaming of."

Naruto snorted with laughter, and I could tell Sakura was trying to stop from smiling.

"Did you just call me Santa?" Kakashi asked blankly. He absent-mindedly stroked his silvery white hair. "Hold your horses, little elf, I haven't finished explaining the rules."

I clenched my fists. He already knew how to push my buttons, it appeared. Naruto looked bored already, yawning once again at the mention of the word 'rules.' I could tell he was not a morning person.