Chapter 5: So Impossible

~

~

Babysitting. Gardening. Rescuing lost pets. I felt more like a community volunteer than a shinobi in my first two weeks of being a Genin. So much for adventure.

It gave us a lot of down time. Naruto and I ended up hanging out with Kiba, Shikamaru, and Shino a lot, Chouji and Hinata occasionally joining us as well. They were actually pretty cool despite our awkward first meetings.

Naruto and I had been sharing our frustration about the lameness of our missions, him a little more vocally than I in front of the team, and one day, in front of the Hokage, receiving our next mission to escort an elderly man to his doctor's appointment, he completely lost it.

"LISTEN, OLD MAN!" he shouted, "I'm SICK of these LAME ASS missions! Give us something with heat! HOT, HOT HEAT, JAH FEEL? A little action! COME ON, I'M DYING OVER HERE!" He dropped to his knees, shaking his fists at the sky. "WHY MUST BE BORED? WHY MUST BE WE BORED?"

Sakura looked angry at Naruto's outburst, probably thinking it made her look bad. I made the 'hang loose' hand signs in agreement. Kakashi was standing behind us and when I turned around, he was literally silently begging Hokage with his hands clasped and slightly bowed forward. He stopped immediately when he saw Sakura and I staring at him in surprise.

Hokage looked up at the ceiling for a few seconds and then sighed. "I guess I could hook you up. A man just arrived to Konoha in search of some protection to his hometown in the Wave country. Would take the day to get there. No danger expected, but hey, it would sure get you off my back!"

"We'll take it!" I cheered. "A little persistence goes a long way, huh?"

Naruto grinned cheekily. "That's me! Persistent!"

The doors opened, and in walked an older gentleman with a big straw hat. "I'm Tazuna...nice to meet you guys. Although, Hokage, man..." he said, looking at us. "These are just kids. I thought I was getting bodyguards."

"I promised you ninja and these are ninja," Hokage said calmly. "Kakashi is a Jounin. You are in very good hands, Tazuna-san."

"Why you so nervous, bro?" I asked suspiciously.

Tazuna glared. "They're brats, too."

Hokage gave me a look. "I'm sure you'll get along great," he said through gritted teeth. "As you are our paying customer."