Chapter 8: No Day but Today

Inside of the room for Part I of the Chuunin exam, there were a lot of intimidating people

Inside of the room for Part I of the Chuunin exam, there were a lot of intimidating people. Everyone taking the exam was definitely older than us, and by the way they talked, looked, dressed, and flexed, it seemed like they were much more experienced too.

For the first time, I began to feel nervous. I thought I was hot stuff, but these guys might be on a whole other level than my own. My nerves quickly turned to excitement when I remembered Gaara was there. I took a quick look around, but didn't see him or his siblings.

"Ai, you've traveled - so what can you tell us about the other ninja?" Sasuke said, glancing at all of the different countries and villages represented in the room.

I was about to respond when a voice answered for me behind us: "No one knows more than me."

We turned around to face a boy who was staring at us. He was older than us, with a white ponytail, Konoha headband, and wide-rimmed glasses. "I'm Kabuto," he introduced. "Knower of all things."

"Cool story, bro?" Naruto told the guy, squinting.

"Anyone who claims they know everything obviously knows nothing," I told him, immediately developing a strong distaste for this guy in front of us.

"Well, it's true," he said, tossing his ponytail around. "It's all in the cards."

On the ground in front of us, he knelt down and spread out a deck of cards in the shape of a fan.

"Listen, you guys are rookies. Fresh out of the Academy. You don't know anything. Total babies. Lambs waiting for the slaughter. This is seventh time I'm taking the exam. So believe me, I know these guys."

Suddenly, I noticed the other six "fresh-out-of-the-Academy" rookies hanging next to us. It seems they were just as intimidated by the crowd as we were and were sticking by for familiar faces.

Ino was looking worried, Shikamaru bored, and Chouji was eating a candy bar. Kiba was holding Akamaru to his chest, Hinata was holding her hands together in a nervous fashion, and as usual, Shino was blocked from view by his glasses and jacket so who knows what was going on with him.

"What do those cards even do?" Kiba barked, pointing at the deck.