Chapter 13: Prepare The Food With Gracie

"Oh so she... With your...."

"My mother." Stefan nodded, placing some more avocado into my basket before moving on to the tomatoes. "She slept with my mother, yes. My parents relationship was never... Romantic. They were more of a powerhouse couple-"

"So like Francis and Claire Underwood from House Of Cards?" I asked.

"What's that?- never mind, sure, like Claire and whoever. My father had sexual relations on many occasions, but it took him by surprise when he discovered who my mother had decided to cheat on him with."

"He expected it to be a man?" I asked.

"More or less. My mother insisted on hiring Gracie for the companies research purposes, and my father had no disagreement towards it, so Gracie has been working with us for years. She stayed with my mom up until they both passed, and has continued to provide incredibly sufficient work for our company. In other words, she's more like a second mom on numerous occasions. If I fall under with a cold, she'll make me soup."

I should be the one making you soup...

"Some days, she'll come over and have me try some new vegetables she grew."

I should be feeding you newly grown vegetables...

"You know how to grow vegetables?" Stefan asked, pausing to turn directly towards me.

Shit, I said that out loud?

"Yeah," he chuckled, turning back to put some mangoes into his cart, "yeah you did."

"I-I- no..." I stuttered, turning away as I felt my cheeks heat up again.

"Elle?" He asked, making me turn back towards him.

"Hmm?" I asked, pulling the carton of strawberries out from the crate to add to my basket.

"Are-Are you... Jealous?"

My head snapped back to his as a smirk graced his lips. Talk about a panty dropping smile.

"N-N-N-No." I stuttered.

"I'm not going to replace you." He chuckled, following me to the greens. "She is a great cook, but she prefers her space out here in the countryside."

"Mm." Was all I said as we walked silently towards the back of the green house space. It was considerably Warner in here than in the ventilated market, but the sight all in itself made it completely worth it. It was extremely beautiful and colorful, as different flowers bloomed along the walls and rows of planted soil.

Everything looked exotically different, like nothing I'd seen before. Species of flowers I was sure, must have been rare. Grace continued working to the tune of silent jazz, as she carefully uprooted plants and moved them into bigger pots. Her body moved quickly and fluidly, something I hadn't expected for someone of her age as she bent down with more ease than I could ever muster.

"Did she create some kind of miracle berry?" I asked Stefan as we stood and watched Grace busy herself.

"Yeah." He nodded. My head whipped to his.

"Wait, actually?"

"No." He laughed, taking a bite out of an apple from his basket. I could seriously get used to his laughter and smiles. It made me almost not want to return home. I didn't want to see the man return to his cold self. "I think she juices." He said after some time.

"I fucking called it." I whispered.

"Language." He grumbled, as we made our way over to the end of the greenhouse where Grace was.

She turned around as if she knew we were there the entire time. "I see we found some things?" She asked, stacking the empty smaller pots up against each other.

"Yes, everything looked so good." I nodded.

"Well, I'm sure you both have things to get back to, so I won't hold you long." She spoke, setting the last of the pits down and turning fully towards us.

"Where do we pay for these?" I asked, holding up the basket of fruits and vegetables we had collected. Both Grace and Stefan laughed at my question.

"Stef compensates for his groceries with the more than enough money for my research. You won't need to pay for any of the groceries you get here." She explained, grinning back at me softly. I could feel my cheeks heat up by her intense gaze.

Stefan cleared his throat from somewhere behind us.

"I think we should be heading out now." He announced.

"Oh darn. You make sure you bring her back again, okay Stef? I'd love to show her around the lab sometime." Grace smiled, pulling me in for another quick hug and chastened kiss on the temple to which I couldn't help but blush at.

"I'll see you soon." Stefan called, as he all but dragged me out of the market with Grace blowing air kisses my way.

"She seems so lovely." I smiled, sliding into Stefan's car.

"Yes." He nodded, turning the heat onto a low setting before he switched the radio on.

"Maybe I can come back to see her lab tomorrow?" I asked.

"We're having the Malaficini family over tomorrow night." He replied.

"Oh right. Probably this weekend then."

"You'll be busy then."

"Next weekend?"

"You'll be busy then too." He replied.

"What- no I won't." I insisted.

"Yes you will."

"What exactly will I be doing?" I asked, my eyes narrowing.

"Stuff."

"Are you-Are you jealous?" I asked, my face contorting into a devilish grin.

"I don't like sharing." He replied, turning back on to a familiar dirt road.

"You know, she was quite charming. I think she might have won me over." I grinned. His grip on the steering wheel tightened.

"Let's not joke about that." He grumbled, as we drove further on.

"Oh rubbish. You know I wouldn't leave you." I grinned, pulling out an apple from one of the crates.

Stefan DeGramont's POV

I took my eyes off the road as nonchalantly as I could while I stared at her. I wanted, more than anything, for her to be telling the truth. I couldn't stop the feeling of jealousy that coursed through my veins as Grace, the greatest womanizer know to to man, put her charms on her.

I didn't know what brought on this feeling of possession...

...but there was no way in hell I was going to give up my cook.

Ever.

-----------------------------------