Chapter 17: Prepare The Food With Both Left Feet

I heard a faint knock on my door.

It was now almost 10 o'clock into the night, and Stefan still hadn't come home. There was nothing I could do to stop myself from worrying about him.

"Come in." I called, pulling the sheet of my comforter, further around me. I was now in some comfortable leggings and a long sleeve oversized shirt for the night, but sleep hadn't found me yet.

"Elle?" Stefan called into the darkened room. I reached over and flicked on the lamp by my bed side so I could see him better.

"Stefan?" I whispered. He was still in his suit, but it was very dirty and scuffled.

"I'm sorry to wake you. I hadn't realized just how late it was." He whispered. His voice seemed strained and tired, like it was taking everything in him to stand before me. I slowly pulled myself out of bed.

"I-It's okay. Are you okay?" I asked, drawing nearer.

"Yes. I was actually about to go take a shower. I was coming to tell you to meet me in the piano room in about 15 minutes, if you would still like to."

"You look tired." I noted, wanting to just... To touch him. To comfort him.

"I'm okay. You don't need to change either. I'll meet you in there?" He asked, his walls unconsciously tumbling down as his exhaustion seeped through. I nodded quietly before he left.

-

The hallways were still dimly lit as I followed the familiar corridors towards the room at the end of the second hallway. I couldn't help but feel nervous. He seemed... off tonight. There was something different. Something had happened but I wasn't sure if I wanted to know. I wasn't sure how I felt about getting involved...

... But I was really starting to care for him.

It was like I was one foot in to this situation, and one foot out... And the the bridge between the two was getting bigger.

I entered the familiar room, but this time, more space had been made in the middle of the room. There was an iPod plugged into a dock, but nothing was turned on. I walked towards the piano at the end of the room and had a seat. My fingers graced the keys again as I tried to remember the sweet melody Stefan had taught me the night before but struggled with it. I moved in hesitation, unsure of what the next chord would be, before another hand joined me with the harmony on the left.

I could smell the fresh scent of soap, as the heat from his body radiated onto my back. "You remembered some." He whispered against the nape of my neck, causing a shiver to run down my spine.

"A-A bit." I admitted. He pulled his hand away from the keys, as he stood behind me.

"Shall we begin?" He asked, while I tuned around. He was in a pair of loose fitted sweatpants and a comfortable shirt.

He could literally wear an Aquaman onsie, and still be the sexiest man alive.

"Okay." I nodded. He held out his hand and I took it. His hand was much larger and rough than mine, but they way held my hand, made me feel protected... Like he never wanted to let it go.

He walked us over to the middle of the floor and slid his hand into his pocket before pulling out a small remote and pressing play. A sweet violin melody filled the room.

"You're going to stand parallel to me." He instructed, slipping his hand onto the small of my back to move me closer to him. My body quite literally shook with nerves as he guided us to the left in a box formation. "You're too tense, Elle. What's wrong?" He asked, swirling the music off again. "Is it the dancing? It's okay if you aren't sure what to do."

"C-Can you tell me about Irene?" I blurted.

His body completely went rigid, and for a second there, actual fear coursed through my body.

"Mrs. Potts told you?" He asked. Every guard that he had let down around me had quickly been rebuilt and instant regret flashed across my face.

"I-I'm sorry, I just-"

"No. No, it's okay." He whispered, his eyes softening as he saw how frightened I had become. "It was just something of a past I'd rather like to forget about. She was someone I thought I could trust, but couldn't. I was young and immature. I took on a lot when my parents made me the sole heir to their company and I made mistakes. They were killed because of it. I now blame no one else but myself, Elle. Irene was a thing of the past, and I'd rather she remain there."

"I-I'm so sorry." I whispered, still holding onto his soldiers as his hands remained around my waist.

"It's okay. The death of my parents is a topic for another night. You just need to know that the man I was a few weeks ago, is not the man I am today. For reasons even I don't know of, I haven't thought of Irene in weeks. What happened then felt like a curse I had brought upon myself. I've made myself to be an unlikable monster, but that burden is on no one else but me." He explained. My lips twitched up into a slight smile. "What is it?" He asked.

"It just reminds me of something my mother used to say." I replied honestly.

"I read your file. Your mom, she passed?" He asked, his eyes crowded with something I couldn't detect.

"Yes. My father wasn't around much when I grew up. I was with her during her last few months and I held a lot of hate during that time for his disappearance. When I can to visit her for the last time, before she passed, she said:

"The truth is, every monster you have met or will ever meet, was once a human being with a soul that was as soft and light as silk.
Someone stole that silk from their soul and turned them into this.
So when you see a monster next, always remember this.
Do not fear the thing before you.
Fear the thing that created it instead."

-------------------------------
That double upload thoughhh