No Man is Getting Left Behind

Three people. Three. And three plus two is five. There are five survivors at city hall. Only five. Me, Leo and the others. Two guys and one G

girl.

They stand in the doorway, not two feet away from me, each dressed in black and holding a gun.

"Who's she?" The girl asks, nodding her head in my direction. Her hair is shoulder length and blond. She's got pale skin and she's quite skinny.

"Cassie Williams. Another survivor." Leo answers for me. A crooked smile creeps up his face.

"Where'd you find her?" Asks one of the men. He's tall and muscular, and his hair is as black as night.

"She found me. She came here three days ago-" Leo staters, but I cut him off.

"Three days ago? I was asleep for three days?" I say.

Leo nods and the girl smiles. "I did the exact same thing," she says.

I look down at my lap. Three days? Leo let me sleep for that long?

I glance over at him. He's spinning a knife around in his fingers, examining it carefully.

The other three have wandered off into the corner and are undressing from their equipment of guns and knives.

Where'd you get this?" Leo asks suddenly.

I turn to look at him. "The knife?" I say.

"Yeah, it's nice."

"Umm... My kitchen?"

He laughs, "Really?"

"Uh, yup." I smile.

"Well, Cassie, this is the most badass kitchen knife I've ever seen."

I laugh and look at the knife. It's the one I used to fight the zombies on the roof, and the one I used to cut my way through the little dead boy.

A shiver runs down my spine. The little kid I the building beside me, the one who's body is laying in a mess on the pavement.

Leo stands up and tosses the knife in the bag. He zips the zipper and places it under my cot.

He nods at me, and with a quick smile, walks through the doorway to the stairwell.

I sit alone for a few minutes before footsteps approach me.

I look up and spot the blond girl. She extends an arm at me.

"Kara," she says, "Kara Michaels."

I smile and shake her hand. "Cassie Willia-"

"I know."

"Okay then." I laugh.

Kara sits down beside me and gestures to the muscular man with black hair. "That's Mitchell. But he likes Mitch better. More apocalyptic," She explains.

I look over at Mitch, who's dumping some granola bars onto the food pile. He looks like he's in his mid-twenties.

"And that," Kara continues, pointing at the other man, "is Adam."

Adam has chestnut brown hair, like me. But his skin is more tanned, whereas I'm pale.

Kara shifts on the cot and turns to me. "I know it's not much, but we're getting by." She says, talking about city hall.

"It's not bad," I answer, "Pretty nice compared to what my house looks like right now."

She nods and looks away. "How do you think it started?"